overheating fixed/long post.....sorry

DLS8K

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well.......I finally got my new cooling fan pump installed this weekend and all is good in my life. No more overheating! But, just a word of advice for all of you who ever have to do this. Prepare to spend a whole day doing it.

I started out by removing the belt. Next thing was the splash shield under the car and moving a few AC lines out of the way. Next task was the alternator which wasn't hard at all to take out (unless of course the plastic bushings are slid into the alternator bolt hole on the top side like mine were, then you might spend a little more time with that). Next thing I did was trying to get that damn pump out of there.

There is a 20mm nut on the top of the pump that holds the pressure line in and from everything i tried, that line does not come out of the nut. There is a bolt behind that nut that is nearly impossible to remove without getting the line out of the way. But anyways, there is hardly any room to get good torque on that nut to remove the pressure line. But finally, I got the pump out of its hole with the pressure line attached and removed it from the pump outside of the car.

You will also need a puller to get the pulley off of the pump..........thank god my parents had that tool at their shop. Put everything back on and spent more time trying to get that bolt behind the pressure line in. Finally got that on and hooked everything up and it worked! Oh yes, you will also need plastic/teflon rings to slide on the 20mm nut/short bolt that attaches to the pump seeing as how the new pump came with that nut tightened down (which i had to remove and ruin the ring on it).

Start the car up and noticed the pulley was wobbling a little bit. Not quite sure if that was the way it was before or whether my friend messed something up when tightening the pulley onto the new pump. There is a question here........the belt isn't getting chewed up and the pulley is wobbling maybe 1/16-1/8 inch (not on the new pump, but they pulley itself looks like it got bent a little bit when they had tightened it.

Should I worry about this or just keep an eye on the belt and fix it if i need to? Oh yes, my alternator had a little noise when free wheeling it outside of the car so I'm sure i'll be back up in there in a short time. The pulley is on the pump straight and the belt isn't getting chewed up (it still stays in its groove). I would appreciate anybody chiming in on this. Sorry this is such a long post but I'm just reassuring that anyone who thinks things are tight on the valve cover job should try this one out for tight quarters. Thank you engineers.......you've done a wonderful job :Bang

WOW! I know one thing for damn sure...if that hydraulic fan on my kids LS takes a dump, I'm upgrading to an 03+ electric unit. I'm not going through all that!

As to the pulley wobble, I would want to look at that if it were me. I would go so far as to check and make sure the pump shaft isn't bent. This may require removing the pulley and checking the shaft with a dial indicator. If it's just the pulley, I would get a new one. No use leaving that wobbly one there. By the way, you DID use the proper tool to install the pulley, right? Otherwise, you may not have it on straight and could have damaged the pump and pulley both.

2001LS8Sport said:
WOW! I know one thing for damn sure...if that hydraulic fan on my kids LS takes a dump, I'm upgrading to an 03+ electric unit. I'm not going through all that!

As to the pulley wobble, I would want to look at that if it were me. I would go so far as to check and make sure the pump shaft isn't bent. This may require removing the pulley and checking the shaft with a dial indicator. If it's just the pulley, I would get a new one. No use leaving that wobbly one there. By the way, you DID use the proper tool to install the pulley, right? Otherwise, you may not have it on straight and could have damaged the pump and pulley both.

The right puller was used. I think what happened was when they were tightening the pulley, they had to stick something through it to brace it so they could tighten the pulley down onto the pump otherwise the pulley would just spin when tightening it. The pulley is on the shaft straight, it is just the pulley has a few high spots around the outer lip which they tapped in as much as possible with a hammer. More than likely, I will be fixing that this weekend as I do not want to deal with more problems down the road like ruining my pump shaft or belt. But hey, at least now I know how to do it!

Members online

No members online now.
Back