overheating fiasco

tarawa

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was having really good luck with my newly acquired (high milage) '06 LS Ultimate until one evening I was meeting a friend for dinner and we decided to meet at one restaurant, leave my car and take his truck to another restaurant. As i was driving through the lot I noticed that the owner installed speed bumps. After easing my way over two of what I thought were uneccessarily large speed bumps, I eased myself over the the third bump. The car literally dropped off of the far side of the bum and hit the undercarriage hard enough that it jarred my neck. I parked my car and went out to dinner.
During the next week, I noticed that my car was running a bit hotter than normal, so I came on this site and read every post that I could. I decided to buy a new thermostat and with sound advice from the forum I bought the platsuic housings. Its a good thing because the car finally overheated enough to have me aprk it and luckily the parts wer delivered the next day.
The lughs that held the thermostata in place wer both sheared off. The housings came in real handy. I changed it all out (in a hotel parking lot) and everything went according plans.
I then noticed that I was still losing a little coolant everyy week. Enough that I had to add to the degas bottle. I couldnt find the leak, but saw some dry coolant on the passenger side shock absorber mount. I also smeeled coolant after driving the car. The car still was running cool though.
I had a friend help me find the leak and after some investigation we figured out that the radiater side tank had a hairline crack in it. I ordered a new radiator from TascPart along with two hoses.
I must say that changing the radiateor in my driveway was the most challenging job that I ever did. About 6 hours worth of hard work, bloody hands and a coolant in my face, I think maybe that I c=got it licked. I keed checking for a while and maybe try to bleed it one more time for good measure. Thanks for all the advice....still love my car, though a dose of Tylanol would have worked wonders on my aching body after the change out!

I forgot to add that I would stay out of the Mutineer Restaurant (Homestead FL) if you value your car!!!!

There a couple of speed bumps in front of a Red Robin at a shopping center that are so high I can't clear them at all with my (Eibach) lowered LS. Come to think of it, I can't clear ANY of their speed bumps.

lawsuit ?
nah....it wasnt a lasting pain...just a jolt that I wasn't expecting going over a speed bump. Plus I have been going there for years. Young punks have been cutting through their lot to avoid a traffic light.

Members online

No members online now.
Back