Overheated after doing the gen II over haul

Ahmed Awad

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello
It has been a little over a year since I've done the complete overhaul to my cooling system. I have the parts list below and so the service was done August 2017. A year and two months later (on my birthday October 5th 2018) I am driving home on the highway and i decide to turn on the heater, it wasn't on the whole ride but once i turn it on no heat, strange, I turn it up higher and finally get some heat but not as strong as usual.

All of a sudden fan starts getting louder and temps climb, I am a minute to my front door so I limp there and shut off the motor wait until it cools.

Turns out I'm quite low on coolant. I add and bleed the system and figure all is well but it has been some time now and it seems to be using 1/4 cup every few days, and more so when I turn on the heat.
I want to add when I had the service done I would check the coolant every few days and I was not losing any coolant.

Well, clearly something is leaking. You or someone else will have to find that leak and fix it.
It seems to be related to the heater, so you might start there. There's the DCCV, aux pump (V8 only), heater hoses/lines, heater cores, and the heater bleed itself. I'd look at the DCCV (and maybe the bleed) first.

Members online

No members online now.
Back