Overhead Console-Storage Door Wont Shut

Bluenote

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Forum,

Car 2005 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8...

My overhead sunroof console / storage compartment door wont stay shut. It's a push - release kind of door big enough for business cards or a pack of altoid mints...The slightest bump on the road makes it pop open and when it does it completely blocks my sight of the rear view mirror...It is very annoying...Anyone had experience with this? Or know if a way to fix it?

Hey Forum,

Car 2005 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8...

My overhead sunroof console / storage compartment door wont stay shut. It's a push - release kind of door big enough for business cards or a pack of altoid mints...The slightest bump on the road makes it pop open and when it does it completely blocks my sight of the rear view mirror...It is very annoying...Anyone had experience with this? Or know if a way to fix it?

make sure a card or something isn't stuck up in the stationary part. Every time mine has done that, that's been the reason.

The one in my 04 did that. A little piece of the plastic latch broke off. I replaced the whole assembly. I don't remember the cost, but I got it from Max.

Hey thanks. Nothing was stuck in there but I think a piece of the latch is broken. When you say Max - exactly what parts store is that? Did the whole headliner have to come out to replace?

Hey thanks. Nothing was stuck in there but I think a piece of the latch is broken. When you say Max - exactly what parts store is that? Did the whole headliner have to come out to replace?

Max at what was Five Star Ford. Look at the ad to the right.

No, the headliner does not need to be removed for this. It is fairly easy to remove the old console. Installing the new one is easy too except for the latches at the back of the assembly. I found that the easiest way was to open the moon roof and press down on the underside of the piece of plastic just above the headliner while pushing up on the back of the console.

Make sure that the latch is actuallu broke first though. Mine doesn't close all the time either. If you feel on the inside of the plastic where the sun glass holder folds up. There's a little latch thingy , on mine if I move it towrds the driver side and then close it that might work. I can feel it latch when its right. Sometimes I have to move it two or three times.

Hey thanks for the advice and references...I have felt that the latch can swing left or right pretty freely...Should it be stationary perhaps gluing it or something? This is one quirky - issue i'll tell you!

Hey thanks for the advice and references...I have felt that the latch can swing left or right pretty freely...Should it be stationary perhaps gluing it or something? This is one quirky - issue i'll tell you!

Well if you never want to use it again , glue would be a good suggestion. But i think it needs to swing back and forth to latch and release. Maybe There's a small spring or something that falls off easily. I haven't messed with mine that much I just push the latch back over before I close it

Btw : does it shut now ? That latch kinda feels like its a J shape if its broke I'm assuming that the bottom part is what breaks causing it to not latch.

i got mad and broke mine. the hinges are broken now and i can't use it.

how do you change it?

Q:how to fix? A: read the beginning of this thread

M[/B]ax at what was Five Star Ford. Look at the ad to the right.

No, the headliner does not need to be removed for this. It is fairly easy to remove the old console. Installing the new one is easy too except for the latches at the back of the assembly. I found that the easiest way was to open the moon roof and press down on the underside of the piece of plastic just above the headliner while pushing up on the back of the console.

^^^^ here's your answer

i got mad and broke mine. the hinges are broken now and i can't use it.

how do you change it?

thanks shortcircuit...

i should have been more specific. how do you remove the old console? what part of the overhead console needs to be removed? if it is all of it, then could you elaborate on how to go about doing this?

thanks!

Dang FAST you are fast. I'm trying a search to jog my memory. I don't remember removing one from the 2000. Actually I don't think it had one from what I'm seeing.

Man , ... I feel bad for your girl friend. Lol. Just kidding !
I'm. Afraid to go outside and look for myself. There's a opossum out there that's about 1/4 the size of my weimaraner. I seen it and it seen me ! Here's how it played out ,
Me: Holy crap that's a huge opossum !!!
Opossum: Damn that's a week long meal !
I ran back into the house . Needless to say.

IIRC, you have to drop the front part of the headliner to get it off.. That is if you need to replace the whole thing

No, you don't. Just pull the console down. When you get the new console, you will be able to see the features that hold it in and where to push and pull on it at. I don't remember the exact details when I replaced mine, but I do remember that I didn't do anything to lower the headliner.

Members online

No members online now.
Back