Overfilled tranny

TownCarDude

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought this '91 Town Car from an elderly couple. It's very nice--well maintained, and essentially "new" condition. However, the old gent apparently overfilled the transmission (about halfway up the dipstick!). I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so I pulled it up on my ramps and went to drain it off a little, but absolutely cannot find the drain plug! Does the entire pan have to be unbolted? Thank you--

Yea, unfortunately they dont put a plug in the pan from the factory... So you have to take the pan off. You can buy an aftermarket pan from Summit, Jegs etc. with a drain plug in it.

:W to :V if it doesn't have a drain plug you will have to remove the pan to drain some fluid, I agree with Black87LSC get an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug on it, when i can i believe that is what i will do.

Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback. MIDAS wants 110 to 150 bucks for a fluid/filter replacement. I might just go that route, then I'll know it's fresh and at spec level--shouldn't have to worry about it for a long while. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back