Options for Coils other then Motorcraft or Visteon?

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Since the Visteon 60-1008 coils for the V8 has pretty much disappeared, has anyone experimented with any other coils like the Karlyns or Wells recently?

Already had one coil replaced by the dealership under warranty about 10K-mi ago, but now there's another one starting to go. Since I am out $100 every time I do something under warranty (deductible), it's cheaper for me to just replace all plugs and coils then to do it $100 at a time until they all die. Too bad you can't tell them to just replace them all.

If anyone has any leads on getting some Visteons I'll take those too.

Too bad you can't tell them to just replace them all.

You can tell them to replace all of them. I had to do that. I went to the service manager and told him all the coils were bad. I waved my hand and said "These aren't the droids you're looking for". Of course my hand had a $20 bill in it too.

Ahh i've yet to see some good opinions, so i'll probably have to jump on a set of motorcraft (Unless someone speaks up of course!).

Amazon has them cheapest i've seen currently but they only have 5 in stock!

ACCEL 140032 Mustang COP's $153+shipping http://www.salesavo.com/avo.php/SalesAvo/pd1074937/ACCEL_140032-8_2_Super_Coil_Kit_by_Accel

You have to reverse the wires on the connectors but the best part is you can just run to the local parts store and pick one up if you have one go bad. You cant use the COP covers because the Accels are too tall but the rubber boots seal the plug wells water tight. I also make the brackets to allow you to bolt them into the factory LS COP locations.

Since the Visteon 60-1008 coils for the V8 has pretty much disappeared ...

I'm so terribly sorry, I have the last set, 8 brand new Visteon 60-1008 sitting down stairs on my LS over-stock parts shelf.
I might consider trading an LSE front bumper for them or perhaps even a set of regular halogen headlights with the
corners removed and angel eyes installed. (Ha!)

I have Qty 7 "gently used" Motorcraft DG529's for sale, only 109 Miles on them, $50+ shipping
Buy 7, get a defective one for FREE. (No Warranty!)

ACCEL 140032 Mustang COP's $153+shipping http://www.salesavo.com/avo.php/SalesAvo/pd1074937/ACCEL_140032-8_2_Super_Coil_Kit_by_Accel

... I also make the brackets to allow you to bolt them into the factory LS COP locations.

+1
HitePerformance makes the best fabricated parts !
spam.gif

j/k

I was glad to get the hold-downs from ya, I eventually may need to try the Accel's.
Anything Yellow under the hood has to be fun! (plus I checked, I can get them in town here in Canada, in stock)

Are you sure? Last I checked Rockauto had the cheapest prices for motorcrafts.

Ditto, yup, last I checked just the other day they were still $45 USD for the DG529's.

Are you sure? Last I checked Rockauto had the cheapest prices for motorcrafts.

Currently yes. Rockauto has them for $50.79, I just bought my set off Amazon for $46.95.

I have amazon prime aswell so they would have saved me a couple bucks. Only thing is i'll have 5 of them on friday and the other 3 won't come in till next week.

Accel..always in stock locally...rarely more than $40 for a single or $160 a set ($20ea)....

Yes, but swapping the leads can lead to other issues. Like breaking the connector. I don't know why, but there has to be a reason the coil covers are on the V8 and not the V6.

I wouldn't mind swapping over to the Accels, but I've had enough issues with the connectors. Trying to push them back out only lead to the connector breaking.

I don't know why, but there has to be a reason the coil covers are on the V8 and not the V6.

The COP covers are on the V8 because the factory COP boots on the V8 do not seal the plug well at all. If you look at the V6 LS and any other vehicles without COP covers, the factory COP boot seals the hole so water cant get into the plug well. The Accels boot doesnt fit the plug well in the V8 perfect but if you push the flange of the Accel boot into the plug well it seals it up tight.

I considered Accel but i guess i just wasn't convinced enough. I had enough money to play with thanks to income tax that i just went with motorcraft to ease my mind.

I have some BWD coils from Advance Auto Parts. They are high quality, made in USA, and lifetime warranty. Advance almost always has online specials that offer large discounts. The last Motorcraft ones I bought were made in China. That being said, I believe most coil "failures" are an insulation failure. 90% of the time replacing the boot with a $6 AC Delco (only coil boot available) and replacing the spark plug cures misfires. Also be sure there is no oil in the plug wells.

Members online

No members online now.
Back