Opinions please.Air vs Spring converision?

Jerrwayne

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I called Strutmasters today and waited on a call back but haven't received that yet and that might be a good thing.When I bought my 97 MKVIII from my sister inlaw she said it needed shocks in the back but didn't need the air bags.Well I think it rides good but I'm new to such a cushy ride so I'm taking her word for it.It rides good but like she said it is alittle sharp over big/sharp bumps.They had a town car before this one and now have a new Navigator so they diffently know Linciols.10-4?!.Well I'm going to make a "Hot Rod Lincoln" out of this in time. Nitrous I think.Anyway,what are your opinions about just maybe letting the air ride keep on going until it fails and doing the spring conversion(which looks good to me).I know,the bags could last for years while I'm experincing a good ride but not quite the ride I could be receiving.Maybe I should get the shocks and wait for the big failure.The air ride is definitely still good.Your views please. Thanks:confused:

I have springs on my 93 and air on my 95. I like both. The air ride is distinctively Lincoln. Anyway you go You will like the ride. You don't lose much with springs.

If you buy new air shocks I'd go with Eddie at American Air Supsension. He also sells conversions. Give him a call Eddie's American Air Suspension

I have the Lowered spring kit on my 95 and I love the ride... supposedly it handles somewhat better too

Thanks for the replies.I'm figuring right now.I think I might go with the lowered kit.Then again the air ride is still good. Hum???I don't know.Haahaaa! Decisions.

The lowered kit looks amazing and still rides awesome. The ride feels a lot like the air ride still, nice and soft, but a lot more solid. It is somewhat hard to explain.

I guess you could say it feels how a nice-riding setup should feel in a sportier car.

In my mind its hands down to the air. As stated earlier, Its distinctive. I've driven a converted mark and I don't know if its the particular kit he bought, but there is a difference. Pay a little extra and ride on air.

The air ride is part of the character of the car, and with parts for it so cheap I find it hard to justify a total conversion unless you have multiple parts failure. Also, the conversion weighs more than the entire air suspension system.

Damn JC I just got 5% tint all around once i get me some HID's and my Bullit rims our cars will almost be twins :p sept for yours being alot faster lol

I have the lowered kit on my 93. Works great, corners well, glides through the air with ease. It's a little less soft but it's worth it.

All you guys that did the coil conversion, did you get rid of the air compressor?

I stuck with air suspension on mine, I couldn't decide for a while, finally I figured I'd just keep that car the way it was born, with the air suspension.
I bought my struts from American Air. My next thing will probably be the compressor.

95LSC32V said:
All you guys that did the coil conversion, did you get rid of the air compressor?

I didn't. It's still there, but it doesn't activate anymore.

Members online

No members online now.
Back