opinions or advice

00greenls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello!!! I was just wondering if any of you had to purchase the dreaded coil on plugs lately? I have read earlier posts of global automotive on ebay being complete junk and rip off cause they do not fit on our cars properly. Is this true for today and now? I know they are cheaper but after reading all of their negative feedback and some posts on here about them years ago i ended up getting them elsewhere and i paid 25 dollars more. I went with per4mance part$!
They have 100 percent feedback rating! Has anyone dealt with them before? And what were your results? I was convinced to go with them after reading feedback left by buyers who bought these coils and put them on their cars and they all responded positive! The other guy keeps all feedback private!!
Also did i go the right route for buying them or should i have bought o2 sensors?
I'll explain...Car has started acting up several months ago when i used to give car heavy or full throttle the car would miss and then it started to eventually backfire to along with the miss. Now the car is starting to miss and backfire from light to normal driving. The check engine light has never come on either.
Is it possible to be my coil on plugs or o2 sensors? I also have another problem the back bolt on my driver's side valve cover is broken off inside the hole and as far as i can tell that side is not leaking any oil but could this cause an air leak or vacuum leak to cause car to act up too? I am also getting really bad gas mileage! I travel mostly highway to and from work and i only average about 17 miles to gallon which equals 250 miles on trip meter sometimes less. If my cats go bad i am gonna have them cut open and gutted and welded back together screw paying tons of money for new ones or aftermarket! Sorry for long winded post but i'm so tired of my baby running like poo when i know how well she used to run and can run! Also i need advice on what spark plugs would be the best to use on our cars? I figure while i'm changing the coils i might as well do the spark plugs! Oh yeah and last but not least the dialetic grease do you need to coat the boot ,electrical connection and the springs? Car has never thrown any cels since condition started car only misses and backfires more easily now and is really really bad on heavy and full acceleration! It's like the car is barely moving or is held back and then is pushed from behind lol!! Thanks everyone!!

Kinda odd that ya car acts like that w/ no cel. Does the cel show when u start the car (for like 3 seconds then goes out).

I only had to replace 1 coil since having my LS, and that was a pep boys part (so maybe bosch? I don't remember) and the plugs I used r Autolite Platimun. Y go thru all that w/ cuttin open the cats? They'll prolly rape u on labor and u may end up payin more or about the same as gettin a new cat

i just replaced all my cop's and plugs after i got a misfire from cylinder 5 and the cop's from global automotive have worked great so far, but i drove for a while (maybe like 500 miles) before i put the cop's because it rarely did it, and i didnt buy them until it did it consistenly :rolleyes: and right before i did it i got the cel for the O2 sensor, i cleared it and it never came back on, but your not getting a cel lol, i would still say its the coils, but im fairly new on here so someone else might have a better explanation lol

WOW I love the customers who just love throwing money at there cars as long as they are buying the parts, I come across customers all the time, they just dropped close to 1000$ in replacing every part the so and so said there car did or there neighbor said this or that, than they bring it to me and I find the cracked vacuum hose or dirty mass air.

WOW I love the customers who just love throwing money at there cars as long as they are buying the parts, I come across customers all the time, they just dropped close to 1000$ in replacing every part the so and so said there car did or there neighbor said this or that, than they bring it to me and I find the cracked vacuum hose or dirty mass air.

Get used to it!! You own ls right then be prepared to spend!! They are known to have issues and you will run into them eventually. BTW I'm buying the parts as prescribed by other forum members who had similar problems and i thank them for being helpful and positive. Too much negativity around here about certain posts or people. After all this is a forum dedicated to our cars and any and all information is a huge asset in fixing these problems and saving money while doing so. If you are a big time mechanic and know it all on these cars how about being informative instead of busting balls or making fun. Not everyone who owns a car or an ls is a mechanic and even if they were the ls is more complicated and i've seen some certified and qualified mechanics not know a damn thing! So hearing about people throwing money away at their cars thru hear say doesn't make them totally wrong but whats more wrong is having ignorant people not really helping these people out! anyone who owns a car is going to have to shell out the money at some point and joining forums is a good start for help or is it?

It's possible that it could be any of those problems. Just keep driving it til you get the CEL then go get it checked out. I bought the coils from alanisdeals from ebay and it'll be 2yrs/almost 25k this August.

I heard nothing but good reviews from Global Automotive, from like 5 different people, and could be 6 depending on bearsfan, I am almost convinced myself.

My friend just ordered some from All Ignition Parts off ebay. Order shipped with confirmation 20mins after his order was processed. received them in Canada from California 2 days later 1 mounting ear was broken so he contacted them and they sent a replacement the same day. Have been installed for 2 weeks and seem to work fine Cost him $120.00 + shipping and $14.00 duty

In my experience as a mechanic ASE certified and a LS owner, backfiring thru the intake is a sign of being lean, Borrow a fuel pressure gauge with a long enough hose to read it at the windshield, fuel pressure should stay steady at WOT under a load, if it dips down the fuel filter or pump is just weak and not supplying enough fuel. IF fuel pressure is good next could be a plugged catalytic converter from previous misfires. A free test is to just remove upstream O2 sensors(actually remove and unscrue them) and drive it, it will sound like a tractor, if it runs good than you have your answer. O2 sensors are not used by the computer under heavy accel, and only "trim" the fuel curve under cruising conditions and idle. Also If you think it is a bad O2 sensor, just unplug the upstream sensors one at a time. Believe me they run fine an dandy without them. have you ever heard of open loop and closed loop, with a scanner you will see a car goes into open loop under wot so it does not use the 02 readings. Also another cheap coil test, just buy a ford one, and and just move it around the cylinders one by one, you can leave the coil covers off for testing, I have even robbed coils off of my car as test pieces on a customers car, If that still does not fix it your only out like 50$ and you just keep it in your glove box as a spare down the road.

I heard nothing but good reviews from Global Automotive, from like 5 different people, and could be 6 depending on bearsfan, I am almost convinced myself.

its going on about 2 months since i did it and so far so good

I bought mine from per4ormace parts, and I am on my 4th failure now.

I have not tried to send any back yet, as I'm so dissapointed, I'd rather replace them with the more expensive parts.

I heard nothing but good reviews from Global Automotive

Global Automotive sent me plugs that did not fit our car. The two pins on the end were undersized. They claimed they were correct part, and would not work with me whatsoever. Garbage imo.

Global Automotive sent me a COP that was already not working.. Had to reuse one of the "old" ones. Tried to get a hold of them about their warranty.. yeah good luck..

Just had the number 8 coil go while driving back from the store. Bought them from Global less than two months ago. JUNK! Does anybody make a decent COP for these cars? I have been through 3 sets of Factory COP's, 2 sets of Accel's and now the Globals...all JUNK!

Just had the number 8 coil go while driving back from the store. Bought them from Global less than two months ago. JUNK! Does anybody make a decent COP for these cars? I have been through 3 sets of Factory COP's, 2 sets of Accel's and now the Globals...all JUNK!

It's just a suggestion....try out Duralast COPs. I have used them before on a 03 Crown Victoria and they seemed fine. They were in the car for a little less than a year and never gave me problems. Although, they are about $50 each.

In addition, about two months ago, i had two of the COPs go bad on the other LS (V6) and went ahead bought the Duralast ones. So far no problems. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Good luck.

In my experience as a mechanic ASE certified and a LS owner, backfiring thru the intake is a sign of being lean, Borrow a fuel pressure gauge with a long enough hose to read it at the windshield, fuel pressure should stay steady at WOT under a load, if it dips down the fuel filter or pump is just weak and not supplying enough fuel. IF fuel pressure is good next could be a plugged catalytic converter from previous misfires. A free test is to just remove upstream O2 sensors(actually remove and unscrue them) and drive it, it will sound like a tractor, if it runs good than you have your answer. O2 sensors are not used by the computer under heavy accel, and only "trim" the fuel curve under cruising conditions and idle. Also If you think it is a bad O2 sensor, just unplug the upstream sensors one at a time. Believe me they run fine an dandy without them. have you ever heard of open loop and closed loop, with a scanner you will see a car goes into open loop under wot so it does not use the 02 readings. Also another cheap coil test, just buy a ford one, and and just move it around the cylinders one by one, you can leave the coil covers off for testing, I have even robbed coils off of my car as test pieces on a customers car, If that still does not fix it your only out like 50$ and you just keep it in your glove box as a spare down the road.

Thanks for the advice i really appreciate it!!! Sorry if it sounded like i was ragging on you in earlier post it wasn't meant to be i was just blowing off some steam. I went to college for automotive mechanics but never finished due to car accident. I still love trying to figure out car problem though and can happily say have helped some people along the way also. I went to autozone and had obd2 checked and their were no codes found! I cleaned maf sensor and replaced my cone filter on my cai i bought from lskoncepts awhile back. I noticed throttle response is much nicer however i still have same problems as stated in 1st post. I already ordered the coils and whether i need them or not i'm sure they'll come in handy anyway somewhere down the road. I don't have fuel pressure gauge and i'm not to familiar with the fuel rails and such on fuel injection. I would like to note that the car idles fine and has no shakes i do believe from time to time when i warm car up before work i hear tiny pops coming from exhaust while idling but they are very faint and sometimes doesn't happen at all. Wide open throttle the thing misses,pops and holds back and then skips along up to speed and it is god awful! Especially since i have custom exhaust and it is loud enough to here by everyone. I have heard of the open closed loops but it has been so so long i forget some of it,lol!! I also thought that if your cats are going or clogged always throw a cel or check engine light. Is that true? At least i got car inspected and i had to laugh as i heard the guy in the garage who inspected it say to everyone in shop that i had the loudest ls he's ever heard and that it sounded sweet! :D Worst case scenario is that if cats are bad i know guy who has a shop and will cut them open and gut them for me and weld them back together for cheap!! We have emissions here but its visual and doesn't matter if cats function or not as long as they are on car. plus i always get an exempt sticker for driving 5,000 miles or less a year. Thanks for everyone's help,advice,and viewpoints and experiences!! You have been a huge help! I will keep you all posted when i figure this out and fix it so i can have information posted so i can help others who might run into the same problem. PS-My car is backfiring through exhaust not intake.

Last edited:

You put 3 sets of Motorcraft cop's on?? did you just change all 8 at any sign of miss, most oem coils last 80-100k miles so do you have like 300k
miles on it or what, how are the valve cover gaskets, and what plugs are you using. If you had a missfire burn down a plug porcelin it will ruin the next cop, well at least the boot. Also these duralast coils you guys speak of that is autozone right? all the coils I have gotten from autozone before are just reboxed ford coils and and sticker removed or ground off, but they ususally cost 5-10$ more than I can buy straight from Motorcraft.

I bought mine from global automotive off of eBay.. They have worked good for me so far.. I had to stretch out the springs because some barely touched the plug.. For 125 shipped, I think they were a good deal IMO.. Each one plugged right in..

Members online

Back