Opinions on car purchase, non mark viii

poniesviii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The car's not for me, helping out a female friend.

2000 Cadillac DTS
178k highway
Immaculate, looks brand new.
All maintenance done.
Needs nothing. Great tires, brakes, everything. Fresh detail and tune up.

Would like to get same or better money out of it in 1 year..

$3700.00.

Pass it up? Buy it?

Need to know by noon tomorrow, so don't bother lettin me know after that..

I realize NADA book is like 6,400 or so but, they depreciate fast..

Guy claims he lost his job, needs to pay off the bank.

Thanks guys

Not a caddy, unless she has a good cheap mechanic. And a good pocket book. Both of wich are hard to come by these days.

Thing is a tank and FWD, pass. Will you be the one doing repairs? A sideways v8= major PITA.

What are her requirements? Can probably help point to something more repair friendly.

What are her requirements? Can probably help point to something more repair friendly.

I'm familiar with pretty much everything, having bought and sold many many vehicles myself.

Just looking for someing 'nice' that can sell in a year for what's paid now. As long as it's still nice in a year, cool. Realize, not looking to drive the wheels off of this car.

Talked that guy down from 5k.

Price range 4k or less ideally. Looking for deals primarily.

Other cars I've negotiated for her and looking at..

97 pont gp, 127k, very nice car, maintained, current, needs nothing, 1,400. Talked down from 2,300. But, it's pretty old.

03 mitsu galant ES, nice, couple very minor things to fix - 1,200, talked down from 1950. She doesn't like it, and it's a mitsu. Yuck.

02 Pont SSEI, Great shape, 4,500, talked down from 5,300. Nice, but kinda high, even after talking down.

02 Concorde (HATE chrysler drivetrains, the 3.5 and trans are junk in these I know) 87k, Nice, 4,500 talked down to 3k. She doesn't like it though.

98 Pont. GP, Nice, Rear bumper needs paint.. must've had a bump. Starting to crack. 1,900. Talked down from 2,500. Still, old kinda!

00 Pont. GP 170k hwy, Remote start, New tires, Needs a buff, otherwise really nice for what it is. Wanted 3,100. Talked down to 2,200.

In my venture I ran across..

97 explorer. 180 k highway. Maintained well, presents very well, alot of new parts, daily commuter for the guy. Was at 1,200 takled down to 900. Thining about picking this up just to sell and make a couple hundred on.

The 97 GP would probably be the most reliable of the bunch assuming it has the 3.8 and not the 3.1. The Concorde is not as bad as you think. The 3.5 is actually pretty decent, the 2.7 that came in them is junk. If you get that one get a transmission cooler. It is pretty much mandatory on that model range Chrysler product to keep the tranny from overheating during city driving.

I'm afraid I can't tell you what will still be worth a dollar tomorrow. I could however tell you that all GM's have intake gasket issues, so they could be worthless tomorrow. And a galant is a Galant, you be the judge. I wouldn't give rotten teeth for one, but that's just me. It's an everyday ugly car, sorry.:D Find something made by Henry. They have dependability and a good sticky price if you pick the right model.

Even though I am anti-fwd I have always liked the GTP's. They seem to hold value decently.

What about a T-Bird? Haven't really seen the values drop much. I have owned a 87 TC, 93, and a 95. All were really comfortable, low maintaince, and had some power.

The 97 GP would probably be the most reliable of the bunch assuming it has the 3.8 and not the 3.1. The Concorde is not as bad as you think. The 3.5 is actually pretty decent, the 2.7 that came in them is junk. If you get that one get a transmission cooler. It is pretty much mandatory on that model range Chrysler product to keep the tranny from overheating during city driving.

I would agree 3.8 is pretty bullet proof.

The Pontiac will give you other issues but drive train won't be one of them.
Why not find a nice Gen 2?

The only problems with the GM 3.8's are the lower intake gaskets. I would replace them with Felpro gaskets even if they are not leaking yet and swap the Dex-cool out for Ethylene Glycol, OAT additives in the Dex-cool will attack and soften the nylon around the gasket causing them to leak and have been known to do this in a few thousand miles after a new repair. Heres a little known fact, stop leaks are a big no no in the repair industry and are even preached about by the manufactures also but theres one company that says to used them, any guesses on who that is????? GM!!! lol they even have there own brand of stop leak.

We've got a 2000 Pontiac GTP with the SC 3.8, it's a good car. The only real issues i've had with it is rain leakage in the cabin(easy fix) & a small oil leak that burns off the manifold. I've been told it needs new VC gaskets. I'd pick GM over Chrysler any day of the week.

Continentals are a good luxurious car with 4 doors (seems like she wants them). If she wants a 2-door, get her a cheap 2nd gen with 100-200k miles. This way you have a general knowledge and wealth of info and parts right here. :cool:

Thanks guys.

Passing up on the DTS for now.. might still grab it.

Car has to be 4 door..

RWD+Snow=suck.

No real good options here. Would be nice to find a newer 04ish gp I could talk down to 5k or so.

I think the DTS is the best bet of getting money back, some high school kid would prob love the car next year.. Thinking about resale here really, not looking to drive the car for 5 years.

I know the GP is reliable, but, would really like something nicer? lol Might grab one of them anyways.. thanks for the input!

I hear ya. Mileage? I'll have to take a look. None came up when I was browsing craigslist. Might have to spend too much for a nice one.

So, I called the guy just now on the DTS. Told him with my options I didn't think I could give him more than 3,500. And he pretty much accepted it. We started @ 4,500.

You don't think I can get 3,500 to 4,000 in a year for that car? It books at about 6,400, add 30k, say, it should book for around 5,500, right?

Very true.. As far as stock goes anyways. A car's only as old as the parts that are in it. But all these parts have almost 200k on em lol

Exactly. 200k is normally when you plan on a bunch of stuff needing replacement. So I don't see you getting close to $3500 back out of it, when it is time to sell.

those northstars are leaky motors, and if they dont leak they use. damn starter is under the intake manifold(not that bad to change) you need a special tool to do the water pump on them, some of them have the air ride shocks in the back that cost a fortune to replace. i would pass on it.

Bonneville's were FWD and nicer than a GP. Any affordable ones near you? There's quite a few right there on Houston CL....

those northstars are leaky motors, and if they dont leak they use. damn starter is under the intake manifold(not that bad to change) you need a special tool to do the water pump on them, some of them have the air ride shocks in the back that cost a fortune to replace. i would pass on it.

I agree with blacklsc those northstars are tricky epecially if it had
overheating problems in the past. I'm shopping for one likea 2000 thru 05 myself but those engines keep holding me back from getting one.If your gonna buy it make sure it some guy ready to retire not some youngkid that likes to beat on these cars.
Do this run a carfax and also go into www.cadillacforums.com do your research find out if theres any issues with these cars.

Wow i haven't loged on for a long time i hope everyone is doing well

I agree with blacklsc those northstars are tricky epecially if it had
overheating problems in the past. I'm shopping for one likea 2000 thru 05 myself but those engines keep holding me back from getting one.If your gonna buy it make sure it some guy ready to retire not some youngkid that likes to beat on these cars.
Do this run a carfax and also go into www.cadillacforums.com do your research find out if theres any issues with these cars.

Wow i haven't loged on for a long time i hope everyone is doing well

Thanks for that input.. I'll take a look! Still considering the car. It came from an older gentleman to a guy in his, 40's? Who needs to sell it. I know pictures don't show as well as in person, but he says the pictures aren't lying, and in this case the car is definately a highway mile car. Looks brand new still.

Off cadillac subject,

2001 Olds Aurora, 3.5, 108k, fully loaded plus remote start, no dings, dents, tears, etc. ~3,850 listed, think I may try 'n talk down to 3,500.. but, they seem to be selling at the dealers for 6 all day every day with alot more miles.

Thanks for that input.. I'll take a look! Still considering the car. It came from an older gentleman to a guy in his, 40's? Who needs to sell it. I know pictures don't show as well as in person, but he says the pictures aren't lying, and in this case the car is definately a highway mile car. Looks brand new still.

Off cadillac subject,

2001 Olds Aurora, 3.5, 108k, fully loaded plus remote start, no dings, dents, tears, etc. ~3,850 listed, think I may try 'n talk down to 3,500.. but, they seem to be selling at the dealers for 6 all day every day with alot more miles.

I hope it goes well with the purchase

i got a 1994 bonneville for 1300 if you wnat it... passed inspection in august. decent condition 254,xxx KILOMETRES. new brakes, new blower motor, new cv joints.. located in canada(deal killer right there)

edit: oh it has the 3.8...

Thanks guys. I think I have the aurora for 3k. I think it's the best option. Should sell easily for that in a year, I would think.

Members online

No members online now.
Back