Opinions: Low-Buck LS Stereo Plan

Turboguy

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, so I have a 2000 LS8 with the base 4-speaker stereo and 6-disc glovebox changer. Speakers aren't in great shape so I'm thinking about some very cheap ways to improve the stereo's sound.

I've got the following components left over from my Grand National in the garage somewhere that I'm considering installing:

NEW
5-channel Sony amp, wattage is around 35Wx4 and 120Wx1 RMS
2 Sony 6x9s, around 50W RMS

USED
Kicker 120Wx1 RMS sub amp
10-inch un-amped SAS Bazooka

Proposed plan:

Put Sony 6x9s in rear deck holes, unhook rear door speakers
Buy a cheap but decent set of 6x8s (Alpine/Pioneer) for the front doors
Run new wiring for all speakers
Buy $25 Scosche SLC4 Four-channel Line Output Converter
Buy amp installation kit
Mount SLC4 and Amp in trunk
Mount Bazooka sideways in trunk, up by the seats
Rock the house

Questions:

Does any of this make sense or is this non A/V guy talking out his a@@?

Would the LOC connect in at the rear deck 6x9's speaker wires or somewhere else if I'm using an amp?

This SLC4 LOC says four channel so I'm guessing I'd need two if I want to only mount the five-channel amp?

How would bass response be with only a four-channel system running through around 35W RMS per channel if I didn't mount the Bazooka?

Where is a nice out of the way amp mounting location in the LS trunk so I can still have storage back there?

How would the amp turn-on and other wiring be run?

How do I access the factory deck's wiring to run new wires, from the back or pull it out?

Would this make for a decent sounding budget system in the LS?

I welcome all input...even douchey "use search, newbie!" comments.

Thanks!

Musta been talking out my a@@.

You weren't. I think the title was camouflaging the topic a bit bc you didn't even get the "Search Dummy" response.

That being said, I know a lot about audio but squat about install. I am not sure about the Bazooka but most newer amps have some sort of auto on sensor to activate the amp's power when a signal is detected at the input.

Sweet, a reply!
Thanks for the reply, I've pushed this project back long enough that I'll be able to upgrade to a double din deck with 3 sets of preamp outputs so problem solved!

Members online

Back