opinion on work i'm having done

D-Ice

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone after my 90 TC has been sitting for awhile I’ve been saying some cash to fix it up and get it back on the road once again. As I searched and read theses forums I picked up on things that probably need to be replaced in the engine, so I wrote a list of parts I need. Right now I'm in the process of getting those parts, and having them installed just waiting for insurance on the car (next week) so if anyone can take a look at my list to tell me if I'm missing anything, or if there is anything I should add please let me know! Here is my list I typed up in Word... The prices of the parts are from AutoZone rounded off to the nearest dollar.

I hope all this work will keep this car running properly for awhile...

IAC Valve Replace $56.00
PCV Valve Replace $4.00
EGR Valve Replace $83.00
Throttle Brushing Replace $9.00
Throttle Position Censor Replace $27.00
02 Sensors (X2) Replace $86.00 (not sure if I need 2 or 4)
Crankcase Filter (K&N) Replace $23.00
Valve Cover Gasket Replace $10.00
Transmission Filter Replace $10.00

Parts Only: $308.00 +/-

Does the thing run?
If so what are the problems?
Some of the stuff seems like a waste of money.
You might need to just remove and clean some of those sensors,
not actually replace them.

If the car leaks oil like mine did, then that isn't really a waste though.
A mechanic shop wanted $1000 to change my oil pan gasket,
that's why I figured to try it myself.

If you need the valve cover gaskets changed,
you gotta take off the upper intake manifold,
which a mechanic will charge an obscene amount for,
even though it is fairly straightforward the second time!

TP

yeah the car does run, but very roghly at idle, I had a vac hose replaced, and others checked (others were fine) I actually just replaced the EGR, & TPS myself 2 days ago, and although I can't drive it yet (no insurance) I started it yestrday and today (ran for about 20 mins each) and it did not shutter as much, or cut off once. So I think I just need to get the new O2 sensors in there to pass inspection.. I think I can get someone i know to do the gasket, and the IAC. thanks for your response.

You won't know the difference with the O2 sensors until you get it driving and up to operational temperature. Your car shouldn't even take readings of them until it reaches full water temperature. That will take a couple miles. I think you should wait until after your first run at inspection before replacing those.

My recommendation is to do a tuneup (spark plugs and wires, etc). You may find that does the trick. I also recommend you use the standard Motorcraft plugs as opposed to any fancy platinum (or whatever else they're selling now) plugs. Before you install them you will have to gap them. Plugs come from the factory pre-gapped at either .040 or .045. I think its .045. Your car requires .055 I believe, so to ensure everything is right check and re-gap every single one before installing it.

Before switching out the plugs, get some seafoam engine treatment and do the treatment that involves pouring the stuff into the throttle body. The instructions (which you should read) will tell you to use half a bottle, but just dump the whole thing in there, it won't hurt anything. If your O2 sensors are just carboned up the seafoam will fix it. Same with your EGR to an extent. It could save you a couple hundred bucks to do that.

aic

The aic valve is also super easy.
It is just 2 bolts and a plug.
The inside of mine was super crusty,
and it took longer to clean it then to remove and install it.

I don't have time but look up AIC on google,
or even "smog tips" and a lincoln procedure is in there somewhere.

Good luck!

TP

Members online

Back