opening up the gage cluster

Timer

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, first off, I did search and all I found was what the problem was. My clock spring needs to be replaced and my SRS/Airbag dash light is out so the car of course is beeping at me like a nagging wife. I cant replace the clockspring for a few weeks but have the time and few bucks it will take to replace the light now. I want the light to work after the clock spring replacement anyway.

So, my question is, are there any how to's on taking the gauge cluster apart to get to the light? (I also plan on installing a white gauge face) I am sure I can figure it out, but want to skip the learn as you go part if I can.

Thanks in advance and if there isnt any how to's for this, I will post one after I do it.:)

It's just held together by screws, around 8 maybe, pretty easy to take apart. Just be careful when trying to take it out of it's mounting location, it get tricky.

Instrument Cluster 2001 ls

Removal and Installation

1. CAUTION:
Prior to removal of the module, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to the diagnostic tool. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed. For additional information, refer to «Section 418-01».

CAUTION:
Electronic modules are sensitive to electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage may result.

CAUTION:
To avoid damaging the instrument cluster lens, place a protective cloth over the upper steering column cover before removing the instrument cluster.

Note:
The instrument cluster is not repairable at the dealership. Do not disassemble the instrument cluster.

Remove the instrument panel cluster finish panel. For additional information, refer to «Section 501-12».

2. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to «Section 414-01».

µ 3. Remove the hood latch release handle.
u%252521EWk%25257E%252524%252528KGrHqEOKi0E%252529RScVoE%252528BMeC%252528nGkVg%25257E%25257E_12.jpg

1 Remove the bolts.

2 Remove the handle.

µ 4. Remove the instrument panel steering column cover.
2.jpg

1 Remove the bolts.

2 Remove the cover.

µ 5. Remove the floor heat duct.
3.jpg

1 Remove the bolt.

2 Remove the duct.

µ 6. Loosen the two LH instrument panel tunnel brace bolts.
4.jpg

µ 7. Remove the steering column reinforcement.
5.jpg

1 Remove the bolts.

2 Remove the reinforcement.

µ 8. Lower the steering column.
6.jpg

1 Loosen, but do not remove, the four nuts.

2 Lower the column.

9. Disconnect the passive anti-theft system (PATS) transceiver electrical connector. For additional information, refer to «Section 419-01B».

µ 10. Remove the instrument cluster.
7.jpg

1 Remove the bolts.

2 Remove the instrument cluster.

l Disconnect the electrical connectors.

11. CAUTION:
Once the new module is installed, it is necessary to download the module configuration information from the diagnostic tool into the new module. For additional information, refer to «Section 418-01».

CAUTION:
To avoid damaging the instrument cluster lens, place a protective cloth over the upper steering column cover before installing the instrument cluster.

Note:
When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

WOW, that is exactly what I need, this site and you guys are frickin great!
Thanks everyone!

How about for a 2004 Lincoln LS. Would it be possible to remove the original bulbs on the cluster and replace with LED bulbs? If so what are the bulb's size? T10 or T5?

How about for a 2004 Lincoln LS. Would it be possible to remove the original bulbs on the cluster and replace with LED bulbs? If so what are the bulb's size? T10 or T5?

For the back lighting?
You can do it, but you won't like the results. The light won't spread evenly from the LEDs like it does from the normal bulbs.

Never mind LED's behind the dash,
save your money for;

• Coils & Plugs
  • Clockspring
  • Sway bar bushings
  • DCCV & aux pump
  • Degas bottle
  • VCG
  • Secondary timing chain tensioners
  • transmission
  • battery

~ Honestly.