Only door speakers work with factory radio

238LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have been trying to install a Pioneer X1500 DVD player in my LS, first I got the wrong wiring harness, I finally recieved the right one today (Meta 5519). I ordered the wrong one because I thought I had to the 4 speaker system. Well I checked today and I do have the speakers in the center console but they never worked, I also have the oval subwoofers in the rear deck, but they never worked either. I am needing some help on how to wire this and hopefully get all the speakers working. Anybody else ever ran into this before? I always assumed that since my car was all OE and i only hear sound from the door speakers that was all I had. Thanks for the help.

The console speakers are a "surround" type speaker (no, it's not surround sound); I forget the technical name (spatial maybe....). The rears are free-air subs.

As for wiring, I have no clue.

The connector that have the RCA jacks are for the center speakers and rear mid woofers
The red jack is mid woofer and the white jack is center speakers.

The rear mid bass speakers sound good for stock but will not hold up well with a aftermarket head unit trust me I know. The center speakers give a hall affect to your front stage echo type of sound. What I did was plug them to the rear channel and fade to the front 1 or 2 steps that way you get the background instruments and adlibs from the music.

If you are not going to amp your front door speakers I say leave the center speakers off cause they will over power the front doors. Plus they do not take bass well

Hey guys, so I have been trying to install a Pioneer X1500 DVD player in my LS, first I got the wrong wiring harness, I finally recieved the right one today (Meta 5519). I ordered the wrong one because I thought I had to the 4 speaker system. Well I checked today and I do have the speakers in the center console but they never worked, I also have the oval subwoofers in the rear deck, but they never worked either. I am needing some help on how to wire this and hopefully get all the speakers working. Anybody else ever ran into this before? I always assumed that since my car was all OE and i only hear sound from the door speakers that was all I had. Thanks for the help.

Also it would help to know what year and if you have the thx system if you have the thx then you are in for more then you bargain.

Also it would help to know what year and if you have the thx system if you have the thx then you are in for more then you bargain.

Yes, that would help to know. We can be sure that he does not have THX, as THX does not have the center console speakers.
He said that the subs weren't working with the OEM headunit. I wonder if they (or the sub amp) are blown?

Hey guys, its not the THX like you were saying. It is possible the sub amp is blown, I didn't even know I had them before since it never worked. Is the turn on thump very bad without the 12-5V converter? I would like to get this harness made up tonight but if the thump is annoying I will wait and get the converet. I am really hoping maybe the problem was with my head unit and when I get the new reciever in the center speakers and rear deck speakers will work.

You don't need any 5V adapter. Just wire in a five-cent 1000 to 2000 ohm resistor in series (between the aftermarket headunit and the factory turn on wire). The thing about the thump, besides the annoyance, is that it may be damaging the amp and subs.

To the O.P.:

Replace the door speakers. Do not use Factory speakers.
I did an impedance load on them for my 2005 LS, they run at 1.6 ohms. Most 4 channel amps don't handle below 2 ohms. I lost 2 good amps before I decided to check the impedance.
If you are up for it, its really easy to do. You pull off door covers, snip the tips off and remove old crappy Ford speakers (give yourself as much slack as possible) Solder on about 8 inches of new wire, and connect new speakers and screw them in.

If you want a Good speaker to put in, I highly Recommend the Pioneer 6 X 8 Woven Fiber 1'1/8inch Silk dome tweeter 2 way. I personally have these in my rear doors and they sound great. Here's the Ebay link. Only $74 for a pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pair-Pi...198659493?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item4620d6cfa5

thats actually a really good price for a set of pioneer D series (which BTW, do sound very nice)

however, I would never reccomend EVER cutting off a factory connector/harness, just spend a couple of bucks and buy a matching harness so you can just plug in the new speakers and not have to worry about mixing up the polarity.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-5600-Speaker-Adapter-Vehicles/dp/B001OAB6BW

thats actually a really good price for a set of pioneer D series (which BTW, do sound very nice)

however, I would never reccomend EVER cutting off a factory connector/harness, just spend a couple of bucks and buy a matching harness so you can just plug in the new speakers and not have to worry about mixing up the polarity.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-5600-Speaker-Adapter-Vehicles/dp/B001OAB6BW

I actually did not know they make those... ... Oh well LOL the deeds already been done on both my LS's haha.

Members online

No members online now.
Back