One-piece Driveshaft Idea Questions

HRLNKN

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. I've been thinking about doing a one-piece driveshaft conversion for the LS. And yes I know that it has been attempted before with the end result being another "if you throw enough money at it..." solution. Well, I'd prefer to find something else than only custom parts, which got me thinking: How would FoMoCo do this? We share a transmission with the 05+ Mustang, and the differential carrier from the 99-04 Mustang. What if we did like the Mustang guys & gals and swap some parts to make this happen? Specifically the transmission output flange & the differential companion flange? I figure with these swaps, one of the one-piece shaft swap kits should fit, or even maybe the Ranger/Explorer stock shaft, since it's about the same length as our stock one. Well, what do y'all think? Could this work, or is it just another idea that will never see the light of day?:confused:

Although I've not measured, I believe the problem is that there isn't enough clearance in the tunnel. In idle musing, I've thought that getting the right angle on things might take a pair of shafts with a pillow block in the middle for support.
KS

Ok, here goes. I've been thinking about doing a one-piece driveshaft conversion for the LS. And yes I know that it has been attempted before with the end result being another "if you throw enough money at it..." solution. Well, I'd prefer to find something else than only custom parts, which got me thinking: How would FoMoCo do this? We share a transmission with the 05+ Mustang, and the differential carrier from the 99-04 Mustang. What if we did like the Mustang guys & gals and swap some parts to make this happen? Specifically the transmission output flange & the differential companion flange? I figure with these swaps, one of the one-piece shaft swap kits should fit, or even maybe the Ranger/Explorer stock shaft, since it's about the same length as our stock one. Well, what do y'all think? Could this work, or is it just another idea that will never see the light of day?:confused:

Why?

Although I've not measured, I believe the problem is that there isn't enough clearance in the tunnel. In idle musing, I've thought that getting the right angle on things might take a pair of shafts with a pillow block in the middle for support.
KS
I thought that might be a problem, since the stang guys ran into this also, and they have the same floor pan in the front. Some of the replacement shafts are tapered for this reason.

Lightening up the rotational weight in the drive train seemed like a good way to make the most of the power these cars make, stock or upgraded. I've been considering the flange swap thing because I want to side-step the vibration and harmonics issues.

Lightening up the rotational weight in the drive train seemed like a good way to make the most of the power these cars make, stock or upgraded. I've been considering the flange swap thing because I want to side-step the vibration and harmonics issues.

Then why not do it the easy way and have a two piece made from aluminum or titanium?

Why keep it two piece?

I'm pretty sure there isn't room. The prop shaft lives above the exhaust. IIRC, Lincoln used a two piece for a performance reason. I just don't remember exactly.

I know that there was somebody on here who tried to do the one-piece thing awhile back, and hopefully they can chime in on this particular point. If there isn't enough clearance under there, maybe the prop shaft from the XF might be a better alternative. I'm still looking for the specs on that one, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Either way, just a couple ideas I've had rolling around in my head for awhile.

Members online

No members online now.
Back