One man's solution to the "sticky black stering wheel problem"

Don D

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Having been dissatisfied with any of the aftermarket steering wheels I'd seen I rebuilt my old one.

Don D

hyedickinson@comcast.net

DSCF0235.jpg

like it Don how did u do it

It was a bit of work, but not terrible. The rim is made of 3/4 inch (1 inch OD) PVC electrical conduit heated an formed around a plywood form. It was then split into two halves. I used a Dremel grinder, but it could be done with a hacksaw. Removing the hard rubber under the black goop from the steel ring of the steering wheel was more difficult that one would expect. Once the steel ring was cleaned I wrapped masking tape in five places to make build ups to the ID of the PVC to hold the halves in place when placed over them. Then I more or less filled the inside of the two PVC halves with bondo and pressed them together over the ring, masking tape, etc. Once set up the bondo was easily sanded to shape where required. Considering stuff laying around the shop, I think I spent about eight dollars on the project including a scrap steering wheel I scrounged from a wrecking yard to drive with while the paint was drying, etc. I've been driving with the new wheel now for about two years and I like it fine. Feel free to contact me at my email address for more info, pics, etc.

Members online

Back