ok has anyone taken the seat track gears apart??

lsc 98 f100

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i got board and took my spare apart... its 3:45 so i can not drill out the rivets and do not know when i can get back to working on it. anyone dun this? pointers? the gears for moving forward and back are out. or is this gear set available new?

Bill's excellent post is about rebuilding the motors. I took the whole gear train apart. There are some pics on LOD. It would be possible to rebuild it if you had a donor gear set. My seat stopped moving so I took it apart to see if I could. It was like a puzzle. The housing is held together with rivets so you would need to find some long rivets or use long #8 or #10 bolts. There are 3 sets of gears. My seat would not move back/forward because the middle worm gear was worn down. Someone said they did this and simply moved another axis worm gear to this location. Of couse you loose the other axis. I think someone also said they simply flipped the worm gear to get a good gear tooth. Regardless, it is possible to repair one that does not move. Either you have stripped gears or your motors need rebuilding. Here are some pics.

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

more pics. The middle gear set controls forward/back movement. You can see the stripped gear teeth on the end of the worm gear. I think I saved some of the gears for future use. I had already bought a good track from Jeremi so i did not save this one. I kind of destroyed it trying to get it apart. I may try to rebuild one in the future. It is totally doable if you have the parts and patience. I think I tried to perform Bill's motor rebuild but then cracked a motor brush and then decided to just tear it apart to see how it works.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Members online

Back