Ok, Guys Who've installed Double Din's

Fastbird

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Got a question. I finally got in a factory radio with a donor faceplate today, and I'm looking things over and think I hit a snag.

The head unit I'm installing is a Kenwood DDX 8017 and looking at where I need to cut out the stock faceplate. The trim panel for the 8017 is what concerns me. The top and bottom of the trim panel are a lot wider than what I've seen in pics on here. So........

You guys use another trim panel with skinnier tops and bottoms or did you trim the panel that came with the head units??

Ok here's another question. How did you restrain the HU??? The metal housing that's supplied is DEFINITELY larger than the faceplate and will not fit. Did you guys even use that or did you fab something else up?

I'd LOVE to see this turn into that.

So far, immdeiate issues I'm seeing are the metal mounting housing not going to fit and the outer trim plate being too wide on the top and bottom.

Thoughts I'm having: Find the proper spacing and location of the stock metal brackets and drill/tap holes in those to use to attach to the new head unit and mount the receiver to the car. Then figure out a way to attach the faceplate to the stereo, completely bypassing the metal mounting mousing supplied with the new head unit.

I installed a double din hu a week ago. I found that the metal bracket that holds the stock radio is the perfect size to hold the double din radio. You may have to drill holes in different spots to match up with the new hu, but it was an exact fit for my radio (A pyle 7" lcd radio/tv combo).

Instead of cutting from a donor radio, I bought a $12 dash install kit for a single din radio for the LS, and am modifying it. All I am using is putty (bondo) and sandpaper. It is starting to look really good.

My only problem with using the stock metal bracket is that it forces the new hu to stick straight out, instead of allowing me to angle it upwards a bit to match the angle of the stock radio.

All in all, its starting to look pretty good, and I'll post pics when its totally finished. I am installing a carputer, and I'm making in-dash control buttons on my trim plate. It should look pretty cool.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about wedging a double din hu in. Even though I used a different brand, it seems like they should be the same size.

Riles said:
My only problem with using the stock metal bracket is that it forces the new hu to stick straight out, instead of allowing me to angle it upwards a bit to match the angle of the stock radio.

Simple fix for that really. Just elongate the holes you drilled in the two brackets and that will allow you some movement and ability to angle the head unit up some.

I'm working on clearing out the faceplate right now so I can get an idea of where I have to mount the brackets as I want this install to look as close to factory as I can.

Riles said:
I installed a double din hu a week ago. I found that the metal bracket that holds the stock radio is the perfect size to hold the double din radio. You may have to drill holes in different spots to match up with the new hu, but it was an exact fit for my radio (A pyle 7" lcd radio/tv combo).

Instead of cutting from a donor radio, I bought a $12 dash install kit for a single din radio for the LS, and am modifying it. All I am using is putty (bondo) and sandpaper. It is starting to look really good.

All in all, its starting to look pretty good, and I'll post pics when its totally finished. I am installing a carputer, and I'm making in-dash control buttons on my trim plate. It should look pretty cool.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about wedging a double din hu in. Even though I used a different brand, it seems like they should be the same size.

Do you have pics of your install and how do you like the Pyle now that it's installed. Does it have an RGB connection for navigation?

I think I'm going to give up on this one for now. I can't get the stock face plate right and don't want to hack up my supplied bezel with the head unit.

I'm going to try to get ahold of a 03+ nav faceplate and see if I can't install it that way. For those who have done the install this way, how did you attach the faceplate and stereo together???

Fastbird...do a search!!! There are some very professional looking results by using the factory face plate! One of them was with the Kenwood.

2001LS8Sport said:
Fastbird...do a search!!! There are some very professional looking results by using the factory face plate! One of them was with the Kenwood.

Do you think I haven't????? I'm not that dense, I've been around web boards for a while and know how to search. Problem is that all you come up with by doing a search is a bunch of "Look at my install" posts, which is NOT what I need. I've been asking DIRECT questions about the process of the install which nobody seems to know or want to share.

Again I ask, a DIRECT question, for you guys with the kenwood, did you trim the bezel that came with the head unit or use a different one, and if so, where did you get it?

A good friend of mine (ex-installer) did the face plate for my kenwood. The face plate from my original factory HU was removed and cut out to fit with tight tolerances around the trim ring you see in the pics. The trim ring was taken from a Ford Escape install kit because the top and bottom of the ring is thinner than the sides. The top portion of the factory face plate that you will have to cut out (you only get one try) is very thin when you get done so be careful and take your time.

P6091275.jpg

stereo.jpg

ltnate3 said:
Do you have pics of your install and how do you like the Pyle now that it's installed. Does it have an RGB connection for navigation?

I like it for what it is. I am going to run a carputer setup that will do all my music, radio, and navigation, and I needed an lcd screen with a built in amplifier to control the speakers.

If you want to use the radio thats built in, its pretty ugly. It has a surprisingly bland radio screen.

I know that it has a bunch of rca inputs, im not sure if it has rgb, but I'll check next time I pull it out. I'll also get some pics up in the near future, after the holidays.

About the trim rings- seriously, instead of cutting up an expensive stock radio, cut up a $12 radio install kit. I've already done this, and it is starting to look great. They come already formed to the dash, you just need to cut certain parts and fill some small gaps with bondo or epoxy. If you can use epoxy, sandpaper, and paint, you can save a whole lot of hassle. Its great for people who don't have precision tools, like me!

Update: Here is a pic of my install progress. I've primered the trim sections. I still need to make a lower trim section from the trim kit, and there isn't enough room for the upper one.

I don't think I can angle my unit up at all, because it seems to be too long to work (it bumps into the metal bar behind the radio).

Image004.jpg

OLLY00 said:
A good friend of mine (ex-installer) did the face plate for my kenwood. The face plate from my original factory HU was removed and cut out to fit with tight tolerances around the trim ring you see in the pics. The trim ring was taken from a Ford Escape install kit because the top and bottom of the ring is thinner than the sides. The top portion of the factory face plate that you will have to cut out (you only get one try) is very thin when you get done so be careful and take your time.

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. You used a trim ring from a Ford Escape kit. Outstanding!!

I think what I'm going to have to do is get the single din LS install kit and the Escape or whatever kit to use the trim ring. I was cutting near the top of the stock faceplate yesterday and the cutting wheel heated up a little too much on me and I got some meltage which ruined it.

About the restraint on the HU, did you just adapt the factory brackets?? What about attaching the faceplate??

Thanks guys.

That Pyle is hideous!
Those decks are poor quality, and the heat will kill the display in 6 months. I guarantee it.

mike690003 said:
That Pyle is hideous!
Those decks are poor quality, and the heat will kill the display in 6 months. I guarantee it.
Damn. Kind of harsh there don't you think?

It's the truth, I live in Miami and have seen this numerous times. A few of my friends got "deals" on Plye TV's (in-dash, and headrest) and installed them. In about 6 months, the Miami sun killed the displays, they had faded picture, and it was very distorted. This happened to more than 1 person, so i know it's a quality issue. Pyle equiptment is not what you want in an LS, maybe a civic, but not an LS.

Well, if heat is the issue, then I should be fine in Indiana. Anyway, it was free for christmas. Can't beat the price. Maybe I'll get a good unit until this one goes, but I'll be running mediacar on my carputer, so its gonna look cool regardless of what unit I have installed.

if you have a double din, do you have an after market alarm?

it would kill me to lose a $1000 - $2000 deck, to someone that just broke my window and pulled the deck out(in and out in less than 5 minutes).

LikeNew02 said:
if you have a double din, do you have an after market alarm?

it would kill me to lose a $1000 - $2000 deck, to someone that just broke my window and pulled the deck out(in and out in less than 5 minutes).

Whats wrong with the factory alarm?

Fastbird said:
Do you think I haven't????? I'm not that dense, I've been around web boards for a while and know how to search. Problem is that all you come up with by doing a search is a bunch of "Look at my install" posts, which is NOT what I need. I've been asking DIRECT questions about the process of the install which nobody seems to know or want to share.

Again I ask, a DIRECT question, for you guys with the kenwood, did you trim the bezel that came with the head unit or use a different one, and if so, where did you get it?

Then you should have stated that you had searched. All I was trying to do was guide you in the right direction. Once you found out who had done what you are attempting, you could pm them for any and all specific information you required. But if this is the kind of response I get from trying to help you, I'll refrain from ever doing so again.

Dartastic said:
Whats wrong with the factory alarm?

the factory alarm does not have a shock sensor or a motion detector. please correct me if i'm wrong.

so a thief could break your window, enter through the window, remove your $2000 double din deck, exit through the window, and the alarm would never go off.

the alarm will not go off until the door is opened without a key/alarm remote.

i believe that there are parts that you can add to the stock alarm to improve it. my boss had an 02 convertible mustang, he was able to add a motion detector to his stock system.

i apologize for my pessimism, but in a 20 year period my family's home in san jose has had our cars broken into 3 times, cars vandalized 2 times, and 1 car stolen. not to mention the house broken into twice. Unfortunately, the world is filled with soulless tweekers and crack heads that won't hesitate to steel your stuff, and sell at 20 cents on the dollar, just to fill their pipes.

i have had several friends that have/are gotten mixed up in this stuff. most have dropped the habit, while a few are still stuck on stupid(10 years later). It is very sad. IMO, meth abuse it one of the largest problems in the US.

Members online

Back