ok dumb ???

E

ERIC1

the ballast and the power invertor for the rear neon is the same item right?
a ballast is an invertor no? i heard someone call it by two names and i thought for a second that there were two items.
eric

not really, generally an inverter is a device used to convert DC current to a usable form of AC current (not the same as in your house, but it will do the job), while a ballast is basically a momentary step-up transformer / power limiter.

mach8 said:
not really, generally an inverter is a device used to convert DC current to a usable form of AC current (not the same as in your house, but it will do the job), while a ballast is basically a momentary step-up transformer / power limiter.
ok but in the mark its only a ballast then right?

don't know, they need an inverter for AC current to power the neon lamp. I don't know of any that work off DC current. You need the ballast to get the neon lamp to start up and operate and a ballast/transformer doesn't do anything with DC current.

mach8 said:
don't know, they need an inverter for AC current to power the neon lamp. I don't know of any that work off DC current. You need the ballast to get the neon lamp to start up and operate and a ballast/transformer doesn't do anything with DC current.
some how i think they are in the same unit.

could be they made it a combined unit. Cheaper to manufacture, more expensive to replace.

Members online

Back