Oil pan gasket

Whiteviii

LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright so last Sunday I added a quart of oil to my car and I checked it today and it said add. I don't believe the car is burning oil but you never know. Someone told me that it was rear main but I looked at trans and there isn't really any oil on there. There is no oil drips in my drive way. I was thinking oil pan gasket because the brace on front is full of gunk on it which I assume is old oil. What you guys think open to anything?

Alright so last Sunday I added a quart of oil to my car and I checked it today and it said add. I don't believe the car is burning oil but you never know. Someone told me that it was rear main but I looked at trans and there isn't really any oil on there. There is no oil drips in my drive way. I was thinking oil pan gasket because the brace on front is full of gunk on it which I assume is old oil. What you guys think open to anything?

maybe you should have added 2 instead of one last Sunday.

I was going to I bought 2 but after I added the one it was already full so I just left it

I was going to I bought 2 but after I added the one it was already full so I just left it

I just had to replace the front main seal on mine, it was fine then all of a sudden spewing out like a gusher...good thing for the idiot light telling me low oil. Cost me a $100 bucks to get fixed.

Ill prolly take it to my friends grandpas shop and have him take a look at seeing how he been working on cars since the model a haha

well you have a couple possibilities:
oil pan gasket, but usually the "side car" on the pan rusts out before the gasket leaks, but this will leave spots in your driveway

oil filter adapter gasket, these are common, and could have a whole bunch of outcomes. leaking coolant, oil, or mixing the 2. this will usually leave a mess too

ft main maybe isnt very common but ive seen a few

the gunk you speak of sounds like its in that front lip of the k member. that is usually there from an oil change, pull the filter ad it fills that channel and most never clean it out.

the real question is where is the oil going.......

I know that what I don't understand but friday morning I'm going down to shop and putting on lift I'll take some pics of the underbody

You didn't say whether you used the dipstick to check if it's full. The oil level sensor is not infallible. Did you check the oil level via the dipstick?

For example, the oil level sensor in my Mercedes is always on the liberal side. The car burns about a quart every 4,000 miles (well within AMG specs), but the computer is on the liberal side and tells me to add 2 quarts. But according to my dipstick (I actually had to buy one, the car doesn't ship with an oil dipstick), one quart is all it needs.

Both of them do that.

My oil pan in my 97 was toast. But Since its the second car I bought a patch kit, ground the rust off and patched it. It isnt leaking so far...Knock on wood

Alright we put the car on the lift and it was not wet underneath or on the heads but the exhaust did smell a little funny so he was talking about maybe the Pcv valve?

Well it must be burning it.
All the well known issues would show themselves on a lift.

How do you know the last person the changed the oil put in the proper amount?

What year car? how many miles?

Well I went an had it done but they didn't put enough in so I went back and made them add more and it's just about to roll on. 109000 it's a 94

LOL

Chicken's post has all the known problems covered, if you have none of those your in luck.
Just drive it and keep an eye on it.

The oil jockey probably put in 5 qrts like its a v-6.

But wouldn't the oil filter gasket if it was bad leave spots in drove way and under the car there is like no oil on anything except the lip of k memeber.

But wouldn't the oil filter gasket if it was bad leave spots in drove way and under the car there is like no oil on anything except the lip of k memeber.

Yes it can....or leak coolant, or mix oil and coolant, or leak oil, or all the above.

When it goes its not hard to tell.

Just drive the car and watch the oil level with the dip stick.

Members online

Back