Oil Pan Gasket repair

DUVALINCOLN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey LVC,

I notice some small drippings on the garage floor and looks to be coming from the oil pan. I took to shop and guy stated the gasket needed to be replaced. It doesn't seem like a tough job but I wanted to get some insight from my LVS pros as to what to expect and the difficulty in doing this job? Thanks

The difficulty level varies from very easy to quite a pain, depending on if you have the V8 or the V6, and which "oil pan gasket" you are talking about.
The actual oil pan gasket on the V8 (for example) is as easy as it gets to change.

Drain the engine oil.

Remove the 17 bolts and the oil pan.
Discard the gasket.

Install a new oil pan gasket, oil pan and 17 bolts.
Tighten the bolts in the sequence shown in 2 stages.
Stage 1: Tighten to 5 Nm (44 lb-in).
Stage 2: Tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).

Fill the engine with clean engine oil.

Thanks!!! Yes it is for a V8 Lincoln LS. The pan he showed me was under the car and looked to be direct access. Is there a special wrench for tightening the bolts in the sequence in 2 stages??? That may be a problem for me knowing how to tighten the bolts.

I got my pan gasket from Tasca. When the pan is off, it is also a good idea to remove the oil pump pickup and clean the junk out of it. Mine was full of timing chain guides lol.

... Is there a special wrench for tightening the bolts in the sequence in 2 stages??? That may be a problem for me knowing how to tighten the bolts.

Just a normal torque wrench. First screw all the bolts in hand tight. Then set the torque wrench to 5 Nm and tighten all bolts in sequence. Then set it to 12 Nm and tighten all the bolts again, in the same sequence.
Sequence below.
oil_pan.gif

oil_pan.gif

Just out of curiosity Joegr, whats the difference in the v6 and v8? It's the same setup isn't it? Why is one painful and the other a breeze? Is there also a difference in Gen I and Gen II?

J... It's the same setup isn't it? Why is one painful and the other a breeze? ...

Wow.
It's two very different engines. The V8 pan is out in the open. The V6 is not. On the V6, you have to remove the alternator, remove the AC compressor, remove the steering rack, use an engine support bar, and on and on. Have you looked at both? Am I missing something?

I got my pan gasket from Tasca. When the pan is off, it is also a good idea to remove the oil pump pickup and clean the junk out of it. Mine was full of timing chain guides lol.

LOL, too funny.

Yes, I am aware that they are two separate engines.... No, I haven't studied both oil pans in much detail at all. I wasn't aware that one was in the open and the other was tucked in behind multiple components. Hence, the fore mention of being curious. I suppose curiosity does indeed kill the cat. Just looking to expand my knowledge base. Appreciate the bit of education there.

I'm new at using a torque wrench...I went to the auto store and the guy was showing me one for feet and one for inchs. I see the instructions you posted included booth. Is there no one wrench for the job???

... Is there no one wrench for the job???

Yes, there is. One of my torque wrenches can handle that range. It goes from 20 in-lbs (2 ft-lbs) to 200 in-lbs (17 ft-lbs).

5 Nm = 44 in-lbs = 4 ft-lbs
12 Nm = 106 in-lbs = 9 ft-lbs.

Am I missing something?

I think most people are just assuming that the two motors are identical twins of each other with the only difference being the additional two extra cylinders added on to the back. I know I hear this a lot from people. I get it, the sizes could make you think that...

Just a normal torque wrench. First screw all the bolts in hand tight. Then set the torque wrench to 5 Nm and tighten all bolts in sequence. Then set it to 12 Nm and tighten all the bolts again, in the same sequence.
Sequence below.
View attachment 828470838

Thanks for helping a guy to have confidence in ability.

Yes, there is. One of my torque wrenches can handle that range. It goes from 20 in-lbs (2 ft-lbs) to 200 in-lbs (17 ft-lbs).

5 Nm = 44 in-lbs = 4 ft-lbs
12 Nm = 106 in-lbs = 9 ft-lbs.

Excellent... I plan to give myself the gift of doing this job myself. Where is the best place to buy this wrench??? Last question I promise.:)

Excellent... I plan to give myself the gift of doing this job myself. Where is the best place to buy this wrench??? Last question I promise.:)

Actually, I think that one came from Harbor Freight. I'm sure there are other places to get it (or a better one).

How hard is 04 Lincoln LS (V8) Suspenion Repair

Actually, I think that one came from Harbor Freight. I'm sure there are other places to get it (or a better one).

Thank you very much. I will be using my Christmas break to get this car in better working condition. I see in other posts alot of people have started replacing the front and back suspension. There is noise coming from the front end of my 04 V8 LS when I turn or go over bumps. I was told by a mechanic the tie rods, bushings, etc. needed to be replaced.

1. How easy or hard of a job is this?

2. What tools will be needed?

3. Are there directions and a diagram of suspension available?

4. How long is this particular project?

Jack up each corner of the car. Shake the wheel up and down, left and right. Find out what part has play.

yea i got a slow leak on my g2 v6... im just gonna slap silicone on it

There is noise coming from the front end of my 04 V8 LS when I turn or go over bumps. I was told by a mechanic the tie rods, bushings, etc. needed to be replaced. The shop told me I needed to install upper control arms, knuckles with lower ball joints, outer tie rods and frt sway bar links... back suspension DSCF4111.jpgDSCF4114.jpgDSCF4116.jpgDSCF4117.jpgDSCF4119.jpg front suspensionDSCF4107.jpgDSCF4108.jpgDSCF4109.jpg What do you think.

1. How easy or hard of a job is this?

2. What tools will be needed?

3. Are there directions and a diagram of suspension available?

4. How long is this particular project?

DSCF4111.jpg

DSCF4114.jpg

DSCF4116.jpg

DSCF4117.jpg

DSCF4119.jpg

DSCF4107.jpg

DSCF4108.jpg

DSCF4109.jpg

all those parts that have torn rubber are due for replacement.

depend on how many bolts/nuts are froze on

Is there a diagram or something I can use to tell me what those parts are that need replacing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back