Oil in Air Filter Box and Intake (2002 V8)

kswpg

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has seen this is their V8: I have oil accumulating in the air filter box. It is coming back through the air intake, weeping through the filter and draining through the bottom of the filter box.

Normally I'd assume this was a PCV issue, but from my understanding the AJV8 engine doesn't use a PCV, and instead has some sort of "load breather" orifice. I've read on a few Jaguar forums that this clogs at times and causes blowby similar to a failed PCV, however I've never come across anything specific to the LS. Presumably they're similar as its a Jaguar engine, but with all the engine variants out there I don't want to assume too much.

This seems to be treated as either an easy, quick fix or an engine death sentence on Jaguar forums. Has anyone come across some clear instructions for trying to clean out this breather? I'd love to keep the car running a little longer, however it has too many other little issues to start having a mechanic throw ideas at it.

Thanks!

Kevin

If you take the oil fill cap off while the engine is running, do you feel puffs of air coming out?

Quick reply! Thanks!

I just checked and there was nothing obvious while idling. I even put a paper towel loosely over the opening to see if the puffs were there but just too light for me to feel. The towel didn't move at all. The engine is actually running very smoothly under all conditions if that helps; it idles very nicely and doesn't even hiccup under full throttle.

If you take the oil fill cap off while the engine is running, do you feel puffs of air coming out?

Well, that's very good news. The 3.9 doesn't have a PCV valve, but it does have a PCV system. I would remove all the external (to the engine) PCV plumbing and verify that none of it is split, cracked, loose, or clogged. If you don't find a problem there, check the intake (manifold and air intake) ports and make sure they aren't clogged. If there's no problem there, you may have to pull the valve covers.
Also, you might repeat the fill cap test with the engine at 2500 RPM.

Hey. I'm having the same problem. Oil is coming through the air intake tube and into the air filter where it leaks alot of oil. What could be the problem?

Well the question I asked didn't get a direct answer just suggestions. I already check everything and I did see oil in the spark plugs holes could it be the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced?

It was as direct as anyone can give. There are a few possible causes, and I listed them. You need to do the things suggested to narrow it down to what it actually is.

It does sound like your valve cover gaskets need to be replaced, but this has nothing to do with your original complaint.

Either:
1. Your rings are shot and you have excessive blow by. Do the test that I suggested.
2. Your PCV system is clogged somewhere. Take it apart and look for clogs like I suggested.
3. Your PCV system has one or more big (air) leaks. Take it apart and look for leaks like I suggested.

If it isn't clear that this answers your question, you need to take it to someone to fix it.

Members online

Back