Oil Filter

mergner26

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
what was the most anyone has every been charged for an oil filter? I just got my oil changed for the first time in this car and got ripped off in soo many. My bill came to $74 for oil change, oil filter (charged $27), tire rotation (which they never did), visual brake inspection, and check a tire for a leak. I had to be at work within 3 minutes from when i payed my bill so i didn't get a chance to question anything so i'm going back tomorrow.

P.S. They also put wayyyy too much oil in

A jiffy-lube type shop charges that for 6 qts of synthetic oil and a "premium" oil filter, plus there are supposed to check your fluids.

I bought a hydraulic jack and jack stands, noticed the oil filter was some generic filter, and do my own oil changes for less than $40 with 100% synthetic and an authentic premium oil filter.

I don't think you'll be able to negotiate any kind of refund or compensation, but you should be able to get them to fix the oil level. Good luck.

I dont know if all Walmarts carry genuine Motorcraft parts but the ones by me do. OEM stuff dirt cheap.

Our local Wal-Marts carry Motorcraft (and Fram) filters, but not for the LS, so I order mine from Team Ford (see the banner ad to the right). They're less than $10 each, but I don't remember exactly how much they cost. Even at the dealership they won't cost $27. I don't think I've ever seen a $27 oil filter; even the filter for my dad's PowerStroke diesel isn't near that. Maybe the filters on industrial equpment are that high...

I wouldn't let them touch my car. An acquaintance once took his car to a jiffy-lube-esque establishment, and when he left, his car felt sluggish. He stopped and checked the oil to find that it was overfilled by at least a quart, so he took it back. They apologized and said they'd fix it. When he left, it still seemed sluggish, so he checked the oil--this time, it was overfilled by almost two quarts. :eek: Needless to say, they didn't see his car again...

When i was a manager at a company years ago i was in charge of the fleet maintenance. The vehicles were normally serviced at a local firestone shop, just oil changes,tire rotations, basic stuff. Well once we used a jiffy lube type place for a quick oil change. After getting the van back to the office i noticed it still had a FIRESTONE oil filter on it after an oil change. I didnt have to deal with that one because my boss went and raised hell. Thats some serious B.S. going on at those kinds of places.

The filters for our V8 LS are pricey. I have seen tham at the local Autozone/Kragen/Pepboys, if you can find them, for between $12 and $25 and I am not talking anything special, just Frams, Purolaters etc.

I not buy mine thru Rock Auto. They sell Wix which is a pretty good filter and if I recall correctly they are under $10 plus shipping. I buy 4 at a time to save shipping.

I think most dealers charge over $20 for them but I have never asked, just read that on this website.

I prefer to change my own oil because 1) I am cheap, 2) It gives me a chance to inspect things that should be looked at every now and then, and 3) when I am under my car, the wife and kids rarely bother me, it's so peaceful.

Assuming I use Mobil 1 and the Wix, I would guess my cost for a change is about $40 more or less. If you used dino oil I would guess if you shpoped around you could do it for less than $20.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

for my 03 v8 it's the motorcraft 2021 (or is it 2120). advance auto carries them for $5 but the book doesn't list it. interesting. at any rate i get the filter and 7 qts motorcraft synthetic blend (specifically what the car ships with) and it costs under $30 out the door.

i called another midas shop last night just to ask what they charge and they said the oil filter would be $12 after looking it up on the computer...he couldn't believe it when i said that the midas dealer by me charged me $27 for just a filter. I also called the dealership to ask and they quoted me $16. This morning i went back in and he ended up giving me $10 back and told me if i still wanted my tires rotated to just bring it back. Needless to say i'll either start doing the oil changes myself or find another place

beaups said:
for my 03 v8 it's the motorcraft 2021 (or is it 2120).
It's the FL-2021; I have one on the desk in front of me. All years of the LS V8 can use the 2021; IIRC, it's a shortened version of the FL-2008, to provide clearance for the '03-'06 3.9's oil cooler fitting. They're both $6.94 at Team Ford (and the filter for the V6 is only $3.78!)

All V8 LS's from 2000-2006 use an FL-2021 all V6 LS's 2000-2005 use FL-400S

the v6 is cheap because its not a special filter like the 2021, and by special i mean only used on the LS the 400-S is used on alot of vehicles. such as the 3.0L 2v sable motor 3.8L sable/continental/windstar etc.

Just for comparison, I am a Tech at Lincoln dealer, hence my username but anyway, I buy my motorcraft oil at WALMART because they sell it retail, cheaper than my dealer can buy it and then I would have to pay 10% over that! ahah NO WAY. I would get the oil filter at walmart too if they had them, but they usually dont. So I think I pay about 7 dollars.

my walmart has my motorcraft filter for my LSE, I use the long one, I get the filter, like 7 bucks and 6 qts of 5-20 mobil 1 everything under 40 bucks. I usually get a bottle of simple green and some armor all wiped and detail the whole engine bay top to bottom when I change the oil. It's so clean some diluted simple green and the water hose on mist makes it shine, than I just wipe it all down with some wipes. It looks damn good all the time lol..

i can get a fram tough gaurd or extra guard filter for no more that 6 bucks. however i do use mobil 1 filters, best filter on the market for 11.99

i work at a garage, we get newsletters every week about oil products and such and the mobil 1 filter where tested agaisnt various name brand and mobile 1 came out on top. i change my oil every 1500-2000 miles and when it drains, its not even dirt. when i use the fram, its got a brownish tinit to it

That's funny about Walmart vs the dealership! For the past 3 years, the only thing I go there for is the Motorcraft oil and filters. Just out of curiousity, has anyone had to replace their oil pan bolt? Mine seems to be leaking since the little plastic washer wore down.

My car has 90k miles. I bought it with 60k miles and I am not sure if synthetic was used prior.

Would it be worth it to start using synthetic IF it was not used prior?

always worth it. wear virtually stops....assuming everything is "in order". I think syn blend is a good compromise. And the service manual calls for it...

2001LS8Sport said:
Just replace the washer.
Thanks 2001LS8Sport, I'll try that first. As far as the oil, I asked the same question at the dealership and was told that the Motorcraft oil was a synthetic blend and to always use that? Anybody have any insight on this?

BatMobile said:
Thanks 2001LS8Sport, I'll try that first. As far as the oil, I asked the same question at the dealership and was told that the Motorcraft oil was a synthetic blend and to always use that? Anybody have any insight on this?

that's what the owner's and service manuals call for.

Any oil that meets the factory specifications listed in the manual will be fine. There are certain codes required on the oil you use. I can't remember what they are called but it's something like ANSI or similar. Your owner's manual will tell you exactly what's required. Personnally, I would stay with the Motorcraft synthetic blend or Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Members online

No members online now.
Back