Oil filter adapter gasket question

lg_bpr5454

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I apologize if this question is silly, but I own a 1996 Mark VIII base model. I suspect oil has gotten into the coolant, so am i going to attempt to replace the filter housing gasket. I purchased the gasket itself, but couldn't understand why autozone slso offers a set of rings i.e. FEL-PRO Oil Filter Housing Gasket ES73132 under the same category.

Can anyone explain what these are for, or if they are required?

Thank you.

I have no idea about the rings but as far as I know, the filter adapter plate leaking has nothing to do with coolant. Everything I'v read on that is it just leaks oil onto the ground when they go bad. Maybe a 96 has a coolant tie in?

Hello all,

I apologize if this question is silly, but I own a 1996 Mark VIII base model. I suspect oil has gotten into the coolant, so am i going to attempt to replace the filter housing gasket. I purchased the gasket itself, but couldn't understand why autozone slso offers a set of rings i.e. FEL-PRO Oil Filter Housing Gasket ES73132 under the same category.

Can anyone explain what these are for, or if they are required?

Thank you.
[1] The oil filter housing on the Mark VIII also routes water to the thermostat housing; it's a very likely spot for a bad gasket to let oil (high pressure) into the cooling system (low pressure). [2] The correct FEL-PRO part number for the oil filter housing is 70415, according to the FEL-PRO catalog PDF. [3] However, I remember something about two versions of this gasket, both fit exactly the same on the adapter - the difference is how big the openings are. I think the other one is FEL-PRO 70801 for 1997-1998 Mark VIII; but I'm not certain. The bonded-in rubber seals are blue on one and orange on the other. Good luck.

Members online

Back