Oil Drain Plug Inquiry

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I had to order a new Oil Drain Plug as the one on now is so damn tight that Vise Grips will be employed to remove the semi-rounded head. The new one that came today includes a plastic gasket that fits snugly over part of the head. I noticed when under the car last week that the current one does NOT have this plastic gasket and can't help but wonder if that is why the shop that changed the oil in February had it on too tight.

That plastic gasket belongs on yes?

i had to order a new oil drain plug as the one on now is so damn tight that vise grips will be employed to remove the semi-rounded head. The new one that came today includes a plastic gasket that fits snugly over part of the head. I noticed when under the car last week that the current one does not have this plastic gasket and can't help but wonder if that is why the shop that changed the oil in february had it on too tight.

that plastic gasket belongs on yes?

yes!!!!!!!

I knew my inquiry was silly but I had to ask. I mean, it wouldn't have been included it it wasn't meant to be used.

Not silly at all! Silly would be asking if a plug was really necessary at all :).

When tightening the new bolt, remember that plastic cracks. It doesn't need a lot of torque, just a wee bit more than finger tight. Before using the new bolt inspect the threads on the pan. They may need to be retapped.

hmm.. do you mind posting or linking pictures of this??

I wonder if the lack of the plastic washer helped lock the bolt in place. If it's a steel bolt and aluminum pan, galvanic corrosion could have messed up the aluminum. They probably had to overtighten the plug to get it to stop leaking since it was missing the plastic washer, too

Weird how you guys are finding plastic washers on these oil drain plugs. I had ordered a few some time ago from the local dealership and it clearly had a brass integrated ring on the thread that would collapse to seal tight when installed. It's actually recommended that every oil change a new drain plug is used but we all know we don't always do that of course. Originally I had ordered just the brass ring, I think I still have both the ring and one remaining new OEM oil drain plug. I'll dig it up tomorrow and have another look. Pretty sure it wasn't a plastic washer.

Yeah, I though/think that it's metal too. I just changed the oil this weekend, but didn't pay it much attention. I have about 140K on one and around 180K on the other. I've never changed the washer (it's captive anyway), and I've haven't had any leaks yet. (Of course, I've never over-tightened it either.) The same goes for my Ranger too (over 200K), but I don't know the history of it's first 100K miles. The oil plug on the BMW has a washer that must be changed every time, and a new washer comes with its oil filter.

Yeah, I though/think that it's metal too. I just changed the oil this weekend, but didn't pay it much attention. I have about 140K on one and around 180K on the other. I've never changed the washer (it's captive anyway), and I've haven't had any leaks yet. (Of course, I've never over-tightened it either.) The same goes for my Ranger too (over 200K), but I don't know the history of it's first 100K miles. The oil plug on the BMW has a washer that must be changed every time, and a new washer comes with its oil filter.

The washer on my '04 Town Car is metal as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back