Oil Cooler

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about or tried installing an oil cooler on the LS? I don't mean the V8 stock oil cooler that has coolant flowing to the where the filter attaches. I mean a separate air to oil cooler like the Mishimoto. I came across a couple of videos that show a significant reduction in oil temp using a cooler on different cars.

Just curious if anyone has considered installing one and removing the stock oil cooler. The kit has an adapter that doesn't open the line to the cooler until 180 degrees or so.

They have coolers that have 10, 13, 16, 19, and 25 rows.

Just wondering...

Do you have reason to believe that the oil is getting too hot? Part of the reason behind the oil-to-water cooler is to warm the engine oil up quicker. Would the external cooler have a thermostat to prevent it from delaying oil warm up?
You would be creating new possible failure points. If a hose breaks or comes loose or a rock hits the cooler, you could have a sudden loss of oil pressure. Are the possible benefits worth the possible risks?

Do you have reason to believe that the oil is getting too hot? Part of the reason behind the oil-to-water cooler is to warm the engine oil up quicker. Would the external cooler have a thermostat to prevent it from delaying oil warm up?
You would be creating new possible failure points. If a hose breaks or comes loose or a rock hits the cooler, you could have a sudden loss of oil pressure. Are the possible benefits worth the possible risks?
No reason, just that my father instilled a 'keep engines from overheating" paranoia. I'm not really thinking of installing one but was intrigued by the concept that might add an additional cooling opportunity. I was also thinking that an extra cooler in front of the radiator might reduce the effectiveness of the existing radiator.

I have other LS projects to get done that would be a much higher priority (e.g. front cover oil leak and 270k mile timing chains and tensioners replacement).

Yes, the the external cooler does have a 180 degree thermostat.

Members online

No members online now.
Back