Oil changes

Cams-76

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The prev owner of my 2000 ls use to run redline synthetic. I have been using full synthetics either Quaker state or mobile 1. How often should I change the oil? I have been doing it every 5k.

The car has 114k, was also wondering when tranny fluid needs changed? I don't now when the prev owner did it but I could find out. It's a 2000 v8 auto

5K will work. I normally use QS or Mobil myself, and change it twice a year when the temps are nice.

that would depend on what oil you use, most synthetics with normal driving should be fine being changed every 5k miles. some are better, for instance I use Mobile One Extended Performance which is good for 15k miles. I usually change mine somewhere between 10k-12k.

that would depend on what oil you use, most synthetics with normal driving should be fine being changed every 5k miles. some are better, for instance I use Mobile One Extended Performance which is good for 15k miles. I usually change mine somewhere between 10k-12k.

I don't know about your car but my '05 LS owner manual states using full synthetic oil with changes every 5k miles. There is even an oil change minder built into the dash to help. I suspect the reason for full synthetic is the overhead cam drive. They do have a tendency to be hard on oil.

I don't know about your car but my '05 LS owner manual states using full synthetic oil with changes every 5k miles. There is even an oil change minder built into the dash to help. I suspect the reason for full synthetic is the overhead cam drive. They do have a tendency to be hard on oil.

Hmmmm..... From my 2006 manual:

Engine oil Motorcraft SAE
5W-20 Premium
Synthetic Blend
Motor Oil (US)
Motorcraft SAE
5W-20 Super
Premium Motor
Oil (Canada)

For years I used Royal Purple and changed the oil every 10K (from 12K until ~175K when my daughter inherited my LS). My '06 (~116Kmiles) got Royal Purple every 10Kish until I retired last year; now it, as well as the '06 we bought new, gets Mobil1 extended every 15K or yearly, whichever happens first (now with ~64K miles).

When Mobil1 first appeared ~30 years ago they touted yearly or 25K mile change intervals.

I don't know about your car but my '05 LS owner manual states using full synthetic oil with changes every 5k miles.

yes, I get that. that is with the oil that ford is expecting you to use...

I dont use that oil, the oil I use is designed for 15k intervals

yes, I get that. that is with the oil that ford is expecting you to use...

I dont use that oil, the oil I use is designed for 15k intervals

"I suspect the reason for full synthetic is the overhead cam drive. They do have a tendency to be hard on oil. "

Yes but did you read the rest of what I posted? I notice shorter change intervals with all cars/manufacturers I have seen with a mechanical overhead cam drive.
Of course I'm sure you will see testimonials to the contrary and you are free to change or not not change as you see fit.

When Mobil1 first appeared ~30 years ago they touted yearly or 25K mile change intervals.

And it wasn't long until they quietly withdrew that. If you look I'm sure you will find no claims as to change intervals now.
I'm not knocking Mobil 1. I've used it for years, it came as factory fill in my Camaro and I continue to use it but I am more prudent than you in my change intervals. Lets say I use synthetic oil as extra insurance rather than a way to defer maintenance.

Oil life is based on the design of the engine as well as the oil. Synthetic oils resist breakdown more than traditional oils, but they still become contaminated just as quickly. Some may be able to encapsulate contaminants slightly better, but not enough to double or triple oil life over a dino oil with a modern additive package. Most newer German cars are designed for well over 10,000 mi between oil changes, but this is due to a combination of synthetic oil (more stable), tight tolerances (less contaminants from the cylinders), huge sumps (more volume of oil to absorb contaminants and regulate temperature changes), and fleece/synthetic filters (paper filters can break down after about 10,000 mi).

Most car companies are going to fail conservative to minimize warranty claims and maintain a reputation for reliability, so >5,000 mi oil changes are probably possible on most of our cars. However, as these cars age they're likely to have increased blow-by from the cylinders into the oil. I personally wouldn't risk it without an oil analysis.

Any popular brand (Penzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, Walmart-brand) doesn't really matter as long as you change the oil at least 4-5k miles (just don't go real cheap) I go full synthetic mobil 1 (0w20) on my hybrid because that's what the manufacturer recommended. My Fords always use 5w20 Castrol synthetic blend and change every 4k miles. Motorcraft synthetic blend is also good and oil change IMO is more of a personal preference. Other people want to spend more on other premium oil such as Royal Purple and Amsoil and there's nothing wrong with that. Main reason I use Castrol is because of the color when it's fresh, compared to other oil it's clear. I could then visually check how bad my oil is after 3k miles.

Blackstone Labs standard oil analysis cost - 25 bucks.
6 quarts of oil and a filter - 25 bucks.

I don't get why this is debated on boards around the world. You're going to spend the money regardless. May as well just change the oil a little more often and not risk an oil-related failure. You can spend it on replacing the engine more often, you can spend it on getting expensive testing completed periodically, or you can just spend it on a few extra oil changes. Testing requires way too much time, effort and thought for the supposed benefits, and an engine swap takes the entire car down. Personally, I'd rather just change it one more time per year and not have to either think or worry about it. For my driving habits, considering I have two vehicles and one driver in my household, this means I change the oil twice a year on both cars. If my wife ever recovers enough from her back injury to be able to safely drive again, it just means I'll be changing the oil once every 4 months instead of once every 6 months.

In other words, I think there's a lot more going into this than is necessary. Just change the oil when it goes dark on the dipstick, and start worrying about the engine when the used oil starts to sparkle. This has worked for me since the 1980s, and will be how I continue to do it into the future.

I am more prudent than you in my change intervals.

I don't know...... Over 160K miles with 10K mile changes and I still remove just as much oil as I poured. The engine (V6) runs as well as the day I brought it home (new with ~60 miles). The LS uses no oil between (now) yearly changes; which is roughly 1200 miles.

And it wasn't long until they quietly withdrew that. If you look I'm sure you will find no claims as to change intervals now.

Actually, they claim 15K on their Extended Service oil. Back then there wasn't the understanding of synthetic oil as there is now. There was also huge opposition from the competition saying there was no benefit to synthetic. I remember my dad saying it will ruin engines unless changed every 3K miles anyway. Then again, he was used to 1 quart every 1K miles as the normal.

Debating oil is just like debating politics......... To each their own.

I notice shorter change intervals with all cars/manufacturers I have seen with a mechanical overhead cam drive.

mercedes has overhead cam engines, they also only require 15K mile change intervals, so... I guess not all manufactures.

unless your buying something with a small block chevy v8 in it, its pretty hard to find a car to buy that doesn't have overhead cams...

mercedes has overhead cam engines, they also only require 15K mile change intervals, so... I guess not all manufactures.

unless your buying something with a small block chevy v8 in it, its pretty hard to find a car to buy that doesn't have overhead cams...

BMW uses overhead cams too. They also have a very long oil change interval. (They also require very specific oil that meets their LL01 spec. 0W40 European is the only Mobil 1 that meets it.)

Call me kooky....but the last time I changed my oil in my LS v8 I used Motorcraft full synthetic 0-20 and noticed my mpg went down versus the Mobil 1 I used before that.....I will go back to Mobil 1 next change.....I'm at 82% right now. Gotta see if spending the extra on the mobil 1 is worth the mpg difference.

Members online

No members online now.
Back