Oil changes.

jarrett88

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So just wondering what type of oil does everyone put in your LS. I have the LS v8 and I currently have the high mileage Mobil 1 in my car(i have 120000 miles) though i normally use the Full Synthetic. the high mileage seems to have gone dark fairly fast. Just wondering is Full Synthetic always the best, cause people have been trying to tell me its not necessary in a car.

Search. This has been discussed several times. It is more a matter of opinion than fact, so complete agreement is nearly impossible.

I have a pilot friend that lives there..... On Appaloosa Ln......

Small world. That's right down the road from where my parent's live off Lilac. :p

I run part-synthetic Motorcraft oil and filter in my 98 Mark8 with 7, 000 rpm shift points and almost 155k miles. I go to the Ford dealer in Coon Rapids and it's $30 out the door.

Cool, yea I have friends in Big Lake, I know where appalossa ln is and Kirk i've known your family for years haha

So just wondering what type of oil does everyone put in your LS. I have the LS v8 and I currently have the high mileage Mobil 1 in my car(i have 120000 miles) though i normally use the Full Synthetic. the high mileage seems to have gone dark fairly fast. Just wondering is Full Synthetic always the best, cause people have been trying to tell me its not necessary in a car.

Was any other type of oil turn dark fast too? I

Was any other type of oil turn dark fast too? I

The oil turning dark quicker is not an indication that the oil is not as good. In fact, it usually means that the oil has more detergents in it.

I use full synthetic Mobil 1 or Royal Purple for makeup oil.

Mobile 1 Full Synthetic aswell... But like joegr said, i searched it before i switched, lots of opinions.

I don't know how much truth there is to it but I think my buddy said he ran Royal Purple for awhile and switched back to Mobil 1 because he thought the Royal Purple was a bit too thin for his application.

I don't know how much truth there is to it but I think my buddy said he ran Royal Purple for awhile and switched back to Mobil 1 because he thought the Royal Purple was a bit too thin for his application.

Yeah it is pretty thin. They all are anyway and I am actually thinking of going to 0w20 next time. The one thing I hate about the thin oils is you have to use a funnel. Gone are the days when you could get it in the hole before it starts to pour. Try that now and you'll have a mess.

http://news.consumerreports.org/car...-0w-20-synthetic-oil-to-inexpensive-cars.html

Last edited:

I'm RP'ing it now as well, since my last oil change.
got rid of my slight ticking on start up.

... and you are not "The Ignored ROBOT", I got your back Bro!

I'm RP'ing it now as well, since my last oil change.
got rid of my slight ticking on start up.

... and you are not "The Ignored ROBOT", I got your back Bro!

Thanks for the backup man. I know I got off to a rocky start on here and rubbed people the wrong way with my frankness and know it all style. I figure most people just don't respond to my posts anymore. I have seen so many threads where I am the last poster. I am just now figuring I am gonna change that moniker to "Cold Case". Many people didn't like my input on the subject of performance and I pissed a lot of people off. I actually kinda miss the jousting back and forth.

Thank you for being one of the very few that don't ignore me and my "Derp". I still don't know what that is.

Trust me, I top you in that department and you think I give a ratsass ?
Everyone has their opinion, there's room for everyone, they don't like it, they have options.

I wouldn't worry about it. We're all different people, that's what so great about this world.

So have we come to a decision as to best type of oil and filter yet? Sorry new to forum...

You'll likely never get a single answer to that question because of...

It is more a matter of opinion than fact, so complete agreement is nearly impossible.

I've been involved in the same discussion mirrored over a number of forums from different ends of the automotive world, I've never a single answer that everyone agrees with.

The best you can do is research it yourself (not just on forums), and compliment that research with informed opinions of others. Put that to work in your real world and figure out what "works best" for you.

:Beer

I ran Royal purple about the first three years in the LS. Been using Amsoil signature series with Wix filter for last four years. Works for me.

So have we come to a decision as to best type of oil and filter yet? Sorry new to forum...

Its oil and a filter. Its not like a control arm. basically any synthetic and non-fram filter is good. The dealer uses synthetic blend and its good enough for me every 5K miles.

I've actually been thinking about getting that Royal Purple out of my engine.
at first it removed a slight ticking noise, now it's back, when I check the oil, it seems too thin.

Might go with the recommended Mobile 1 synthetic.

I just let the local quick oil change do it with their standard filter and bulk Valvoline. We run two cycles on the oil change monitor before we have it changed. It's still pretty clean at that point, and the car still doesn't use enough oil to have to add any. The car is an '03 LS8 with 194,000 miles.

I've actually been thinking about getting that Royal Purple out of my engine.
at first it removed a slight ticking noise, now it's back, when I check the oil, it seems too thin.

Might go with the recommended Mobile 1 synthetic.

I wouldn't wait. I know of about 20 people who reported that they put Royal Purple in their otherwise perfectly running engines, then shortly after lost their engines due to an oil related problem. Engine age or performance capability didn't matter either. May have just been a bunch of coincidences, but there's way too many good oils out there to take the chance.

+1

I was originally sold on the RP but not so much anymore.
I'll have it out soon, Mobile 1 in.

thanks.

Members online

Back