Oil Change Question

The Kauf

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys all get your oil changed? I did it myself on my old car, but just bought the LS and I want to make sure I keep the service up to date. I could do it myself, but then all I would do is change the oil. If I take it in to a dealer they can do all the recommended preventative maintenance. If I take it to Midas or somewhere, they can at least lube it up and refill the fluids. If you do it yourself, what all do you do besides just change the oil?

Thanks
Brian

I bring mine to the dealer. I think it's worth the 30 bucks. Plus, they fixed a coolant leak for me for only 10 extra bucks last time I was there. One hose clamp was loose/broken. They replaced with a new clamp.

I bring mine to the dealer. I think it's worth the 30 bucks. Plus, they fixed a coolant leak for me for only 10 extra bucks last time I was there. One hose clamp was loose/broken. They replaced with a new clamp.

$10 for a hose clamp isnt bad! j/k :D

I don't think there is anything to lube/grease on the LS. Be careful with the fluids. Most places say they top them off, but most don't actually do it. Also some people on here have had their cars damages by a lube place putting the wrong fluid in the wrong place.

I've had my V8 since it had 16 miles on it. Bought it new in 2002. Have done all of the maintenance myself (after those first few free oil changes). Only other maintenance I've done?

-Brake pads about every 25k-30k on the front, about every 40k on the back.
-Replaced most of the coolant when I replaced the expansion tank back at around 60k miles.
-Siphoned out my brake fluid reservoir, and refilled with fresh fluid once every year. (yeah, I know..not a full flush..but whatever..it's worked for me).
-Once out of warranty, changed oil and filter with Fram or Motorcraft Oil filter and WalMart's brand of Full Synthetic 5w-30 oil every 10k miles.
-Had the local Ford dealer do a transmission flush at 85k. (Figured I'd do this ONCE in the time I will have it, so not a huge deal).
-Replaced air and cabin filters per the Maintenance Interval reminders.
-Replaced spark plugs with Bosch Platinums at around 75k..which is when I had the Valve Cover Gaskets replaced.

Im now at 96k, and it's running great, other than the need to finally go ahead and change all of these ignition coils. I've had a random (like once per month) engine misfire since late 2006, and it's finally getting bad enough where I need to replace them. Occurring more frequently over the past week, and sometimes it's pretty harsh (and hard on the driveline) when it occurs. I also have a new set of Motorcraft front pads and front rotors, and will put them on this weekend. I got 96k miles on the original rotors, by the way. Getting thin, but not scored or warped, so I figure what the heck. One rotor change during the life of the car (life with me) isnt bad.

I can only imagine how much I've saved over the past 5 years on maintenance at the dealership. And again, the engine itself (other than the misfire) and transmission are running flawlessly.

$10 for a hose clamp isnt bad! j/k :D

Well, I couldn't see the leak. If I were to bring it to the dealer only for a diagnosis, they would've charged me 70 bucks to look at it! Ten bucks was a steal for diagnosis and repair :D

Dealer for sure. Its like $29.99, if you need new wipers they are only $19.99 installed and if you get in good with some of the mecanics there you might get hooked up!

I do mine myself so I know it gets done right.

Yep. Im fairly certain they dont take the time to fill the filter with oil, turn the filter around a few times to ensure the pleats are oil soaked/ensure oil gets up to the engine as quickly as possible during that first start, and THEN place the filter on. Followed by filling the crankcase with the proper amount of full synthetic, and then..cranking the engine. When I follow this procedure the oil light never stays on after that first start up..not even for a split second.

The one or two times early on when I DIDNT fill the filter with oil, the oil light stayed on for 1-3 seconds after startup, indicating insufficient oil pressure for that 1-3 seconds. May not be a big issue in the end, but I feel better doing it myself. And saving money.

I do mine myself so I know it gets done right.

Amen. I've heard waaaaaaaay to many horror stories about dealers and quickie lube places forgeting to refill the oil, putting the wrong fluid in the wrong oraface, putting in the wrong weight of oil, breaking something else while they were in there to sell you more parts and labor.

It takes 20 minutes to a half an hour to do an oil chance and $20-$50 depending on what oil and filter you use. It's worth my time and money to know it was done right.

i change it myself with mobil one. my damn oil filter cost more than the oil, freakin 2002 lse, 12/01 build date. i also check all the other fluids, tire pressure, wipers, spare tire, interior/exterior lighting, horn.....:D

A classic...

How about the classic $3 for the "Your oil pan plug was stripped and you need a new one."

I change my own oil and for x-mas get oil change gift certificates for my dealership. They are always wanting to change more parts and about a year ago they came up with the stripped oil plug. Meanwhile I know it was not stripped - they stripped it because they overtightened it.

i get it done at the Dealer. I had one today actually, advertised 29.99, i paid 41 bucks, there was no extra work, but w/e.

I change mine myself and top off the fluids as needed. When I bought my car @ 8,300 Miles last December the dealer had "serviced" the car prior to delivery.

Had an oil leak on my driveway and when I change the oil guess what...they had left the filter loose!

The only person you can depend on to do a job right is yourself!

if you need new wipers they are only $19.99 installed
My wipers were $7.99 installed, until I got the Neoforms which were still only $14.95.

I change my own oil. Then I know it was done right, and I can get the damn filter off without needing a wrench the next time. Plus I use Amsoil. They don't sell that at FLM dealers.

I change my oil and filters on all of our cars. I use Mobil-1 only. When our '03 LS was under factory warranty and had free servicing I provided the dealer with Mobil-1 for the oil change. I watched too. Fluids and filters are cheap, engines and transmissions are not. Routine maintenance is my job and I love it. I get great satisfaction from keeping in tune with our cars. The big jobs go to those who have proven to be reliable.

Members online

No members online now.
Back