Oil change, frequency and type oil?

jwolsen

LVC Member
Reaction score
99 Continental. Owners manual says 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I've been religious about changing every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever came first. Am I doing an overkill on this? It would be nice to save the money by going the 5k/6mo route, any strong opinions? Using Motorcraft synthetic and motorcraft filter, should I be using something else? Thanks, Bill.

I change every 3000. I only use regular valvoline. Sounds like your doing a fine job.

I have my mechanic do it every 3 months like clockwork, and at the same time look for obvious repair issues, for my 95 Continental. Over a year it's a bit over $100, so works out great.

I have my mechanic do it every 3 months like clockwork, and at the same time look for obvious repair issues, for my 95 Continental. Over a year it's a bit over $100, so works out great.

EVERY THREE MONTHS??? WHAT IF YOU ONLY DRIVE 1000 MILES?? iT'S 3000 for me,,PERIOD. I've got 3 personal vehicles,,kinda different in my case.

Yes Mojoman, every 3 months. Normally the mileage works out to the 3,000 area, but in those rare cases where I am under the 3, I change it anyway. It's inexpensive, and I usually have them check on other things while at it. Like I said, it's a good approach for me.

There is no argument that changing your oil frequently sustains engine/tranny life.

You should change oil often enough so that you can afford it and take reasonable care of your vehicle. If you have a new car you must change oil enough to sustain your warranty. At most shops, Mechanics do not change oil.

Synthetic oil is the oil to use. It came stock in Continentals. In the motor 1 extra mpg. In the tranny an extra 2 mpg. In my Harley, my engine temp stays 25 degrees F cooler on hot days.

Right now, I only drive enough to change my oil twice a year. I change my oil when it gets dirty - and mileage does vary. I change my filter every second oil change, to save $8 and help cover the cost of synthetic oil. I use the regular Fram oil filters.

If I plan to take a long trip, I change the oil before I go.

Members online

Back