oh where oh where did my coolant go

topher5150

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i have noticed that my coolant level has been getting low. not on a regular basis, i check it once every couple of months. i don't think it's the head gaskets it's a newer engine, any ideas

i it's a newer engine

loosen the 4 bolts on your water pump pulley.
THEN take the belt off

then finish removing the water pump pulley bolts and the pulley

look on the underside of the pump and i'll bet you'll find traces of coolant

when it has run down, but has been hidden by the pulley

then while your there, run down and get the improved style water pump with the anticavitation impeller design

when you take the stock mark 8 pump out, look at the exposed impeller design, the improved design has a metal plate welded over the fins, it reduces drag, cavitation, electrolysis and improves cooling

keep in mind there is a long and a short pump for the 4.6 dohc
so take your old pump to the store with you, so you can determine of you need the long or the short pump

set both pumps on the counter impeller facing down, the difference between the long and short pump is easily seen.

the hassle of getting the better pump IS worth it

All my marks have lost coolant randomly never seen any leaks on any of them tho.

My 95 Mark loses some coolant at times. I just refill it

all these mysterious leaks are probably exactly what I posted above.
it's the water pump weep hole.
pull the pulley off, you might just suprise yourself.

a dying pump will, but one that simply is leaking internally wont..
until the coolant passing thru the bearing seizes it up.

^ that's a good suspect as well..but usually you can see coolant drops on the ground when the adapter is leaking

mine does the same. Computer says low coolant. So I fill it up, which at times isn't much at all to make the message go away. And this is once every 2-3 months if I drive her on the freeway a lot.

Does this mean new water pump is due? I've been going at this for a year now.

Does this mean new water pump is due? I've been going at this for a year now.

If it's leaking from the weep hole, then it's only a matter of time before the coolant passing thru the bearing will kill the bearing causing the water pump to fail.

The improved pump cost about 75.00 if I remember correctly

Changing the pump is a breeeze, it's unlike any ford I have ever worked on.
Ford "used" to hang every accessory off of the water pump.

On the 4.6 dohc there is nothing bolted TO the water pump, not even a radiator hose.

When you change the pump, make it easy on yourself and take the alternator off, it goes ALONG way in making the pump removal much easier.

The only way to tell if the pump is leaking out the weep hole is to pull the pulley off of the pump and inspect the underside of the water pump snout.
once the pulley is removed, it should be fairly obvious if it's leaking

hope this helps.

o riely wanted to sale a reman for 35.99 and advance brand new its 45.99 i bought mine from advance

I know this is an old thread but I just realized my water pump is leaking from the bottom, but only when I remove the coolant filler cap. After I screw the coolant filler cap back on the leaking stops. Is this just another sign of a bad water pump? Does taking the cap off allow the pressure to flow more freely? I thought it was a little odd.

I know this is an old thread but I just realized my water pump is leaking from the bottom, but only when I remove the coolant filler cap. After I screw the coolant filler cap back on the leaking stops. Is this just another sign of a bad water pump? Does taking the cap off allow the pressure to flow more freely? I thought it was a little odd.

WP 's should not leak at all. If yours does,at any time thats not good.

WP 's should not leak at all. If yours does,at any time thats not good.

Its obviously not good. The low coolant light was coming on, then the belt broke. While replacing the belt I removed the filler cap on for the coolant and antifreeze began leaking from the bottom of the water pump.

Ill be getting a new water pump soon. Anyone know if a 97-98 water pump is the same as a '96?

Thanks.

Its obviously not good. The low coolant light was coming on, then the belt broke. While replacing the belt I removed the filler cap on for the coolant and antifreeze began leaking from the bottom of the water pump.

Ill be getting a new water pump soon. Anyone know if a 97-98 water pump is the same as a '96?

Thanks.

yeah. and the 99 mustang cobra has a less restrictive water pump as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back