Oh, I Love Snow

M4rk

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
..naat!

Couldn't even make it down the road :shifty:. Yay, unpaid day.

Why did I buy the LS.. maybe I need some extra weight in the trunk. I couldn't gain any speed.. doing 20km/h tops, car sideways, TC kicking in. Everyone going around me, even those big moving trucks. RWD cars are awful in fresh, packed and unplowed snow.

That's the end of my rant. Had to vent, lol.

First problem is leaving the TC on.. You really have to get those tires spinning in deep snow to keep it moving.. I plowed through 1 1/2 feet of snow and the speedo said I was going 60 mph but I was actually going like 25 or so.. But I was still moving and got to were I needed to go.. Just put snow unwanted miles on the car.. :cool:

You still running all seasons? Any weight in the trunk? Ever driven a right-wheel-drive vehicle in the winter before?

Dude I don't want to hear it. Before getting back in the LS I was driving a pos 92 GT. We had a horrible snow storm hit and in order to keep from getting stuck I went sideways on the freeway. I was spinning and swerving so much that I had 4 lanes of traffic unwilling to pass me. I sold it within a month after that and fixed my LS.

snow

..naat!

Couldn't even make it down the road :shifty:. Yay, unpaid day.

Why did I buy the LS.. maybe I need some extra weight in the trunk. I couldn't gain any speed.. doing 20km/h tops, car sideways, TC kicking in. Everyone going around me, even those big moving trucks. RWD cars are awful in fresh, packed and unplowed snow.

That's the end of my rant. Had to vent, lol.

Welll I made it out of the garage but not the driveway.LOL. Back home in the warm and toasty. It does come every year.

You still running all seasons? Any weight in the trunk? Ever driven a right-wheel-drive vehicle in the winter before?

Nope, I have top of the line Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s on. And no, the LS is my first car. I do understand that slow take offs are a must.. I am light footed most of the time anyway, but this was just sad. Might get some salt or something, to throw in the trunk. 100lbs enough?

It did occur to me, when I had the same tire but in 235/45/17 (vs 215/55 as of right now), I did much better in deeper chit. They were also a year newer (made in 2008 vs 2007). I wonder if the rubber had lost its properties? But maybe it's just my paranoia kicking in lol.

@FAST, I was already going sideways. With TC off, it didn't get much better.

It did occur to me, when I had the same tire but in 235/45/17 (vs 215/55 as of right now), I did much better in deeper chit. They were also a year newer (made in 2008 vs 2007). I wonder if the rubber had lost its properties? But maybe it's just my paranoia kicking in lol.

@FAST, I was already going sideways. With TC off, it didn't get much better.

A skinnier tire is better in the snow.. I have 215/60s.. Skinny and tall..

Maybe I'm just a crazy mofo.. :shifty: lol

Was it the fluffy stuff or the wet crap?

Yeah snow Fking blows. Couldnt make it up my driveway just now.

Lmao ^ It was fresh - about 15cm worth of fresh, and it looked unplowed as well. Just packed by other cars.

I'm pretty sure you blow snow.. :shifty:

*Raise hands up* Guilty!!

Lmao ^ It was fresh - about 15cm worth of fresh, and it looked unplowed as well. Just packed by other cars.

Yeah, fresh powdery snow. Unshoveled. didnt stand a chance. plus the roads dont really have any salt on them so Traction wasnt good from the road either.

The key with any vehicle is GENTLE EASY changes in speed or direction. And with the LS and similar cars, you probably need to turn off the traction control.

I have driven front wheel drive, rearwheel drive, 4WD, chains, studs, snow tires, street tires, in many snowy locations. And the key to 80% of the snow/ice situations was to go SLOW and EASY. I rarely needed the traction devices mentioned except as a daily "have it just in case" thing.

I am pretty much a California native but have lived or travelled in nasty climates, often with rental cars, so technique is very important while equipment is less so, but nice to have.

Usually powering thru just gets you stuck.

Just my experience,

Jim Henderson

I tried turning the TC off, but Its just like M4rk said, packed down snow from driving over it just turns to ice... then theres no way.

Momentum is more important than giver er hell. Get moving slowly and then don't give up any momentum once you are rolling. Unless you have nice groovy tires, full power doesn't work well. Once a tire is spinning it stays spinning, unless you dig or burn down to pavement.

Jim Henderson

I agree on that part.. TC doesn't let you get moving though.. It cuts engine power.. Once you get past the 5mph point, that's when the give 'er hell rule applies.. ;)

Sure momentum is important but if you have no traction, eventually your momentum will loose the battle between it and gravity and you either stop moving or head right back where you came from.

I think we agree to disagree.. You are correct to a point but if you come to a hill going 30 and keep a constant pedal, you will slow down and not make it up it.. Now, if you get going 30 and give it more throttle when you first hit the hill, you will spin and you will be able to the top with the speedo saying 60 (from personal experience).. ;)

Maybe my cheap a$$ tires are the sh!t in the snow compared to your guy's.. :lol:

Members online

Back