Offset and tire size?

Rich88LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have searched and read through some old posts but it's hard to find difinitive answers.

I am looking at either 18 or 19s 8.5" wide with a +42 offset. Stock ride height now but Eibachs are probably in the near future. Any help on what the widest tires I can run without rubbing would be great.

I think the widest you can go is 255... I'm not absolutely sure on that so I probably shouldn't have posted. I run 245/35 18 with no problems.

I run 255-35-20 on the rears with Eibachs and +35mm offset, rubs if I have people in back and hit a dip.

I only run 245 series. 245/35 front and 245/40 rear. 19x8, 42mm offset. Lowered on springtech. 245/40 rubbed in the front.

You can run a 275 with proper offset. I do not know what offset you would need on an 8.5" wide wheel.

He is asking about tire width for a specific offset and wheel width. It may be best to answer the question only in relation to the given specs.

I think a +45 offset will work for an 8.5" wheel. At least places like tirerack.com indicate it will work, but they also indicate that the recommended tire size would be a 245/35 for 18 or 19" - so maybe it's back to asking those with direct experience or talking to a shop directly.

TRU

Last edited:
i fu had a 28 in wheel with a +89 offset you could get away with a 285/200/28

Thanks guys. I'm still torn on what to here. I really want to run 255/40/18 or 245/40/19s.

I think a +45 offset will work for an 8.5" wheel. At least places like tirerack.com indicate it will work, but they also indicate that the recommended tire size would be a 245/35 for 18 or 19" - so maybe it's back to asking those with direct experience or talking to a shop directly.

TRU

Yeah discount tire says +45 also. The wheels I want only come in +42. 3mm is hardly anything but it sounds like every mm counts on these cars, especially when I am trying to fit as much rubber as I can under the car.

If you go down to 255 35/18 instead of 40.. that might help. I don't think 42 - 45 will hurt too much.

40 offset front 245/40/18, 60 offset rear 285/35/18 on a lowered car. 18x8 and 18x9.5 wheels.

I am using a 245/45/18 tire with 18x8 wheel with +42 offset and it fits perfect. I wish the rears had +45, then I would alittle more comfortable with people in the back seat. in the front I am using 235/45/18 with the same wheel and offset. It is perfect upfront.

That was my next question how wide of wheel spacer. I wanted to do a Cobra R wheels and wheel spacers but those pics just changed my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hijack OP's question, but since it's already about rims..

How would 18x8 49mm Jaguar Tucana wheels fit, all around?

They will fit very well. 04+ xj8, xjr, s-type, stype r wheels fit perfect. Also the new xk8/xkr front wheels fit.

They will fit very well. 04+ xj8, xjr, s-type, stype r wheels fit perfect. Also the new xk8/xkr front wheels fit.

Thanks HyeLife :) I have yet to fully understand the concept of offsets, so I was a little worried that the calipers might rub - they already look to be awfully close to the spokes on the stock rims, which have an offset of +60mm.

So since the offset is +49mm vs the stock +60mm, does that mean the wheels will stick out a bit more?

Yes. Tricky how it works, but it's kinda reversed. The offset mean the distace from the center of the rim. The higher the offset, the farther out the rim bolts on, BUT, this pushes the rim in on the car. The lower you get from 60,the farther out it sticks. 38+ offset is about the lowest you can go without it rubbing, it's pushed out 22mm more than stock rims are.Thats why those cobra rims stuck out so far, they were a 27 offset or something like that.

Alax, you've just explained it a lot better than all the other websites :p Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.
Back