Odometer & POWER TILT/TELESCOPE STEERING COLUMN Question?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2006 Lincoln LS ...My question for the Forum is two parts...and/or issues I'm having ...the first is the digital odometer is going crazy/wacky at irregular intervals ...I will drive the car to work one day and it will be fine the next day or a different trip that same day the odometer goes crazy and the mileage will disappear and reappear ...or the Trip miles will only be present...I bang/hit the dashboard and BAM! the odometer is working again all the lights for mileage and trip odometer work fine ...weird ...Is there a permanent fix for this? Will I have to open up the dash to fix it? The other issue I've had with all my LSes is that the Telescopic Steering Column makes a whining sound when I park it and turn the car off ...can I lube something so it moves quietly back into the upward position ...it only makes this whining noise when it goes back to it's home position upon exiting the vehicle? When I use the Telescopic control control switch it doesn't whine? These problems don't affect the drivability of my car just little things I want proper if possible ...Thanks for any thoughts or remedies!

Odometer display - You have one or more bad solder joints in that display assembly. The only fix is to remove the cluster, remove that assembly, and reflow the suspect joints.

Noise - At the bottom of the steering column, there are two motors with right-angle gear drives on them. There's a rectangular rod that rotates and slides back and forth on one of them. Try to lubricate both sides of that rod. Get under there where you can see and tilt and telescope the wheel and you should see what I am talking about.

Odometer display - You have one or more bad solder joints in that display assembly. The only fix is to remove the cluster, remove that assembly, and reflow the suspect joints.

Noise - At the bottom of the steering column, there are two motors with right-angle gear drives on them. There's a rectangular rod that rotates and slides back and forth on one of them. Try to lubricate both sides of that rod. Get under there where you can see and tilt and telescope the wheel and you should see what I am talking about.
Well I wasn't surprised at the first answer...I figured I would have to remove the cluster ...thanks for the information...I'm very pleased that I can try applying some PB blaster to the steering column...much appreciated Joe!

I certainly would not use PB blaster. That'll wash all the grease that is left off and may damage the steering angle and other sensors.

You need a relatively thick lubricant.

I certainly would not use PB blaster. That'll wash all the grease that is left off and may damage the steering angle and other sensors.

You need a relatively thick lubricant.
10-4 Joegr! upon removing the lower steering column shroud I saw that they used a white thick grease so I opted to my Liquid wrench White lithium grease...the Telescopic steering column is quiet and performing like new...Thanks again

Good to hear. I've need had a problem there with my 04, but the grease melted out on a very hot day early on on my 06. I have to reapply lube every so often on it. (They re-lubed it under warranty a few times, but it didn't last any longer than what I tried myself.)

IMG_20190803_215027707.jpg

2006 Lincoln LS ...My question for the Forum is two parts...and/or issues I'm having ...the first is the digital odometer is going crazy/wacky at irregular intervals ...I will drive the car to work one day and it will be fine the next day or a different trip that same day the odometer goes crazy and the mileage will disappear and reappear ...or the Trip miles will only be present...I bang/hit the dashboard and BAM! the odometer is working again all the lights for mileage and trip odometer work fine ...weird ...Is there a permanent fix for this? Will I have to open up the dash to fix it? The other issue I've had with all my LSes is that the Telescopic Steering Column makes a whining sound when I park it and turn the car off ...can I lube something so it moves quietly back into the upward position ...it only makes this whining noise when it goes back to it's home position upon exiting the vehicle? When I use the Telescopic control control switch it doesn't whine? These problems don't affect the drivability of my car just little things I want proper if possible ...Thanks for any thoughts or remedies!
Does your 2002 LSE have any rust???? What about the front and Rear bumper covers????dents?????cracks?...I'm interested. I have a 2002 LSE with 104000 miles perfect except for little things body wise that beinga fuss budget I would like to fix but as you said.........the elusive LSE is nowhere to be found. You can email me at wallydufrat@hotmaul.com or call me at 519-752-5400.

Thanks

Does your 2002 LSE have any rust???? What about the front and Rear bumper covers????dents?????cracks?...I'm interested. I have a 2002 LSE with 104000 miles perfect except for little things body wise that beinga fuss budget I would like to fix but as you said.........the elusive LSE is nowhere to be found. You can email me at wallydufrat@hotmaul.com or call me at 519-752-5400.

Thanks
350.jpeg
352.jpeg
348.jpeg
354.jpeg
Not perfect by any means ...thinking about repaintingvthis one and keeping it ...been looking for the black on black LSE for quite some time now ...probably going to murder it out completely;)

Lucky you........I need the front and rear covers only.....I'll pay you and you could get regular ones at any junk yard and they would look ok........It's up to you.

View attachment 828572486 View attachment 828572487 View attachment 828572488 View attachment 828572489 Not perfect by any means ...thinking about repaintingvthis one and keeping it ...been looking for the black on black LSE for quite some time now ...probably going to murder it out completely;)
and rear covers

Members online

Back