Odd looking waterpump gasket

jimbob

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just ordered a new waterpump to plate gasket, but it doesnt seem to fit right (see attached pic) it looks backwards and exposes the voids in the water pump. Im guessing itll be ok, as the outer edge will be all sealed up.

I have tried it on every which way and this is the only way the bolt holes will line up. Has anyone else had this? will it be ok to use?

Thanks.

DSCF1628.JPG

Gasket

Hi Guys,

I just ordered a new waterpump to plate gasket, but it doesnt seem to fit right (see attached pic) it looks backwards and exposes the voids in the water pump. Im guessing itll be ok, as the outer edge will be all sealed up.

I have tried it on every which way and this is the only way the bolt holes will line up. Has anyone else had this? will it be ok to use?

Thanks.

jimbob,

Wonder if you couldn't just take it to your local parts store and compare your gasket with one that might come with a new or rebuilt pump. At least you could see if there are any significant differences.

That is the right gasket. Flip it over.

Still doesnt fit, the bolt holes dont line up. i have tried it all ways, rotated it, flipped it everything. I can only guess that it is designed to allow the coolant to fill void areas in the water pump case. Ill give it a go later and see what happens!

jimbob,

Wonder if you couldn't just take it to your local parts store and compare your gasket with one that might come with a new or rebuilt pump. At least you could see if there are any significant differences.

I compared withe the old one, its nothing like!

Post a picture of the old one, then. I know that is what my gasket looked like when I was into the engine last fall. I might still have one sitting in the basement, so I will try and check when I get home.

Jimbob,
Sorry, my earlier post was not helpful. I only noticed after the fact that being in the UK you probably don't have a parts store near by that would have any Mark VII parts. But, perhaps you do have one that has gasket material from which you could make your own -- by tracing the pump surfaces on it.
Good luck:)

Try this

Remember, that when Ford went from "V" belts to the serpetine belts they also reversed the rotaion of the waterpump. You may need a different gasket. You may have a regular rotation gasket there or vice-a-versa
My .02 worth

Post a picture of the old one, then. I know that is what my gasket looked like when I was into the engine last fall. I might still have one sitting in the basement, so I will try and check when I get home.

The old gasket fell apart when i removed it, but if you look at the plate behind the water pump in the picture, you can see the outline of the old pump to plate gasket, i compared it to that.

Jimbob,
Sorry, my earlier post was not helpful. I only noticed after the fact that being in the UK you probably don't have a parts store near by that would have any Mark VII parts. But, perhaps you do have one that has gasket material from which you could make your own -- by tracing the pump surfaces on it.
Good luck:)

I can get the gasket locally but only as part of a lower engine set. I think the best option may have been to make my own from gasket material as you suggest, but at the cost of these parts, even to the UK i decided i would just order one from Rockauto.com where i get all my other parts.

Remember, that when Ford went from "V" belts to the serpetine belts they also reversed the rotaion of the waterpump. You may need a different gasket. You may have a regular rotation gasket there or vice-a-versa
My .02 worth

This is an interesting point!! when did they switch? do you think i could have the wrong waterpump installed? i replaced the waterpump a while back and the old one was identical. Rockauto only list this pump to plate gasket i have for my year '92 Bill Blass

Anyways, i have installed this gasket, and seems to work fine (so far!) no leaks and the coolant seems to pump around ok. I ascertained from studying the pump, plate and gasket that the only crucial function of this pump to plate gasket is to seal the perimeter of the water pump housing to the plate, so long as the coolant flow isnt restricted in anyway and can flow through the two holes in the plate into the block and through the connecting hoses ok all should be fine.

pump gasket

Jimbob, I did some research on www.autozone.com and found this gasket 35241. this is off an 85 Mk Vii engine code "F" the lower performance engine. And is listed as a police and tow package gasket. It looks like it has the same pattern as your pump.

You didn't mention what year your car is and if it was an export model to the UK or if it was brought in from the USA after it was sold. if you car still has its id tag on the drivers door or pillar that lists the VIN, paint codes, interior color, axle, and transmission code, look under the word DSO it will have the number 99 for export (Ford used 99 for a long time to signify a car going overseas, but I don't know if they still used the "99" when your car was built).

I could see you might have a problem with coolant recirculating back to the impeller from the section of missing gasket where it goes into the timing cover, and could cause overheating on warmer days.

Let us know how it works out.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP498945...partType,00415/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

waterpump gasket 2.jpg

Jimbob, I did some research on www.autozone.com and found this gasket 35241. this is off an 85 Mk Vii engine code "F" the lower performance engine. And is listed as a police and tow package gasket. It looks like it has the same pattern as your pump.

You didn't mention what year your car is and if it was an export model to the UK or if it was brought in from the USA after it was sold. if you car still has its id tag on the drivers door or pillar that lists the VIN, paint codes, interior color, axle, and transmission code, look under the word DSO it will have the number 99 for export (Ford used 99 for a long time to signify a car going overseas, but I don't know if they still used the "99" when your car was built).

I could see you might have a problem with coolant recirculating back to the impeller from the section of missing gasket where it goes into the timing cover, and could cause overheating on warmer days.

Let us know how it works out.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP498945...partType,00415/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Hi Ricks90billblass,

Thanks for the research! you've been doing some work here.

Its interesting how you have turned up two other gaskets. I have the one i purchased installed on the car now, but i took the new images you posted and flipped and rotated them to compare with my gasket (see pic). If you look at the first one, the bolt hole arrangement is quite different to mine, although the internal desgin is very similar. If you look at the second one you posted however, the overall shape and bolt arrangement is almost identical to mine, so i would suspect that that would have fitted also. But notice with that second one, that it only fits around the perimieter of the pump housing, much the function that mine is serving now. I see your concern of some coolant flowing back from the timing cover, however im not sure this could happen as effectively the plate between the pump and timing cover should prevent this. The only way the coolant can get past the plate is through the two flow holes into the block, which have a gasket on the motor side anyhows. Anyways, ill see how it goes and let you know if it does prove to be an issue.

Incidently, my car is a '92 Bill Blass. It was a Florida car from new, and came over the UK about 5 years ago. I did check the door plate, it does not have the 99 export code as it is a full US spec car.

Thanks again for the research.

gasket.gif

1984-1987 Water Pump.

I just bought this from AdvancedPepZone for my 1984.

Hope it helps someone (in a pre 1988 kinda way).

Members online

No members online now.
Back