octane boost question

black_lincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is octane boost good for the car or not? i have heard in the past that its good for the car once in a while .. is there any truth to that?

IT will not harm you car. But there really is no need for it in this car if you are running like 93. The car is made to run at 91 or up. I have never been a fan of the stuff.. Have not noticed anything differnce when used.

Unless you work with Torrie and build a 'special tune' for it - you should be able to get a little better performance it you tuned for 100 octane and can tune for it....

You would 'ping' like heck if you ever tried running that tune without the boost.

thanks guys.. just wondering because some beople put it in their cars before they race someone but i personally haven`t seen a difference. my question is answered though. thanx again

Take a close look at the directions on the can of boost. Most will claim only a single point or less of boost per can per small tank of gas.

I tried a large can in a truck I had with dual 19g tanks. There was no difference in ping form the tank with and the tank without, there went $4(?) a few years ago. other web pages confirm this impression, to get more than a point or two you have to spend $15 $20 for booster. Why not just use premium.

Course you could always buy race gas in barrels, but it ain't cheap either.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Go to www.kennebell.net Jim Bell recommends an octane booster there that he says flat works. Summit sells it. It's available in three strengths. You need to be careful when picking an octane booster. You need to make sure it's sensor and cat safe and you want to make sure it's a product that actually works. Most don't. But the one recommended there seems to work well. I would think it was only necessary in the rare case you were using the car in a high load high heat condition (racing) or running a very aggressive tune. It would cost you a fortune to use it continually.

i have a place where i go and get 100 octane it,s 5.25 a gallong
when i buy it
is that to mouch for that i yously only buy about 2 or 3 gallons every 4 months put some in the car

Members online

No members online now.
Back