OBD scanner can't connect to computer on 03 Aviator

Modelafish

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently had a check engine light pop up on my wife's 03 Aviator. Took it down to O'Reillys to check it out. Seemed to run Ok on the way down, although idle seemed a little high. The guy put scanner on it, but it could not connect to the computer. It just said to plug into car and turn on ignition, which was already done. I did mention that the battery had been replaced recently, and he checked a bunch of fuses, but couldn't find any issues. Tried it again tonight at Autozone with the same result. Also tried with the engine running. It's like the plug in connector isn't connected to the computer. Any ideas ?
Mike

ok. on every ford i have worked on recently, the OBD scanner gets it power from the same circuit as the power point. so i would start with making sure the power points are working first.

ok. on every ford i have worked on recently, the OBD scanner gets it power from the same circuit as the power point. so i would start with making sure the power points are working first.
So I checked them out with a voltmeter. Front console cigarette lighter has no power. Power port in second row HAS power. Power port at tail gate has no power... Soooooo, wiring ?

quite possible. assuming all the fuses are good.

Did you ever find the problem? My wifes 04 aviator has the same issue with OBD2 scanners not communicating. Her cigarette lighter also didn't work. I located the port at the rear cargo area and smacked the panel a few good times and suddenly the cigarette lighter (and it) both work. However, the scanner still won't communicate.

FYI, the fuse on that circuit was good the whole time, but I swapped it for another fuse and it didn't fix the problem. Really frustrating that a vehicle with known coil-on-plus issues so severe that Ford extends the warranty for 10 years - now has an issue that won't even tell you what coil it is!!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back