O2 Sensor

Becky04LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
i've been having this check engine light on and off for about 3 1/2 weeks. it went on one time and i took it to an auto place down the street and he said it was the bank 1 sensor 1, something like that. then i went to autozone for a second opinion and they said the same thing, oxygen sensor. i figured it was the gas i was putting in cause when i first got it, i just put in regular gas. the guy told me to put in premium 91+. i did this and the check engine light went away. a week later it came back on so went back to the autozone and they did the code reading and it said the same thing. so i put in a injection cleaner and put in better gas and it went away. this was a week ago. now the check engine light came on again and im guessing its the same thing. i didnt get a read yet but im pretty sure it is. so im just going to get the sensor replace but i dont want to pay for it if i can easily do it myself. I searched but I didn't find a topic about this, but can anyone tell me how I can replace an driver side O2 sensor myself? or know a place where they will do it if I buy the part at like Autozone or something? any help is appreciated

shouldn't be too difficult. Jack the car up and look for the sensor along the drivers exhaust. I ended up having to cut my old one off to get a socket on it but it wasn't a big deal.

If they didn't clear the code, it will stay in the system. Make sure they cleared it before assuming something is still wrong. I'm sure the O2 sensor could be the culprit though.

If they didn't clear the code, it will stay in the system. Make sure they cleared it before assuming something is still wrong. I'm sure the O2 sensor could be the culprit though.

I agree. They need to clear the code if they haven't been doing so. I also agree with eric that it's not hard at all. This will be more difficult if you live in a state that uses salt though.

If you replace the sensor your self here's a few tips:
1. Let the car warm up some or drive it around to warm up the exhaust. This should make it easier to loosen the sensor.
2.. Jack the car up (on the drivers side if it's bank 1) and use a jack stand.
3. Disconnect the oxygen sensor. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located on the top of the catalytic converter.
4. Slide the appropriate sized(I think 7/8") boxed end wrench over the wire and onto the sensor. Remember that the exhaust will be hot. Loosen and remove the sensor.
5. Install new sensor. Don't forget to connect it.

I agree. They need to clear the code if they haven't been doing so. I also agree with eric that it's not hard at all. This will be more difficult if you live in a state that uses salt though.

If you replace the sensor your self here's a few tips:
1. Let the car warm up some or drive it around to warm up the exhaust. This should make it easier to loosen the sensor.
2.. Jack the car up (on the drivers side if it's bank 1) and use a jack stand.
3. Disconnect the oxygen sensor. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located on the top of the catalytic converter.
4. Slide the appropriate sized(I think 7/8") boxed end wrench over the wire and onto the sensor. Remember that the exhaust will be hot. Loosen and remove the sensor.
5. Install new sensor. Don't forget to connect it.

what do you mean use salt? lol

does anyone have actual pictures of how to do this or where the sensor is located? i dont want to eff this up. also, which kind of sensor should i buy? like what is the best kind. SORRY! im a newb to this car lol

You can rent a set of O2 sensor sockets from the parts stores.

Also, get the actual OBD code and post here. There's likely more than one code, and it's not terribly common for an O2 sensor to just die. If we have the full list - codes, not descriptions - then we can give some more guidance.

what do you mean use salt? lol

does anyone have actual pictures of how to do this or where the sensor is located? i dont want to eff this up. also, which kind of sensor should i buy? like what is the best kind. SORRY! im a newb to this car lol

Salt, some states use it to melt snow but it's corrosive so it causes rust. Which kind of sensor should you buy? A OEM replacement, NTK was what I pulled off my car and what I put on my car when replaced them. NTK appeared to be the original brand that came with my car. I could get you a picture, but honestly it's the weekend and I'm just to lazy to do it right now :cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back