Numerous problems w/my 03LS

doug03ls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Have any of had these problems....

1) the back of the drivers seat popped off. The dealer replaced this 2 mos ago.
The clips had failed.

2) the headliner is dropping down from the overhead rear brake light. I just noticed this today when I was checking my tire pressures.

3) my 6 spd CD player is failing after it plays for 20 minutes. you can't get
eject or play the CD's. This is heat related. This started yesterday.

I love the car but am disappointed with the interior problems. The car has been fine for the 2 1/2 yrs of ownership with only one mechanical failure of the wheel rotation sensor.

Doug

doug03ls said:

The clips had failed.

2) the headliner is dropping down from the overhead rear brake light. I just noticed this today when I was checking my tire pressures.

I love the car but am disappointed with the interior problems. The car has been fine for the 2 1/2 yrs of ownership with only one mechanical failure of the wheel rotation sensor.

I've not heard of problem #1, but I have heard of problems #2 and #3. Problem #2 is a known issue and there is a TSB for it (TSB #03-17-2). This can be easily fixed by the dealer. On Problem #3, query: are you using regular commercial music CDs or are they recordable CDs? The Owner's Manual states that recordable CDs can cause problems.

If your mileage is under 50K, all these items should be taken care of under warranty.

doug03ls said:

The clips had failed.

Doug
Sucks. Atleast your '03 has a 6 spd Cd player. I have an '02 and mine's a 5 spd.

I just purchased an 03 LS and the headliner is dropping down on it as well. I think I'll just fix this myself. I really do not want to take it in just to replace the velcro that is there.

I have had both #1 and #2, dealer fixed no charge, no problem.

I have had some trouble with home-burned CDs. I think the 6-disc changer is a little sensitive. The problems differ in relation to the brand/quality of the CD I use (I never use labels or stickers BTW), and the software I use to burn the music.

Another quality item, whenever it rains the left door leaks filling the map holders completely with water. It is going in the dealer tomorrow.

I have owned 89 Aerostar, 90 Tbird, 95 Tbird, 97 Mustang, 05 Ford Ranger.
This has been the most problematic body integrity vehicle. I always thought
Lincoln was known for quality. I don't believe Lexus, Acura, (Japanese cars)
have problems like this.

Doug

I've had the headliner problem. Tried to fix it with new velcro but it wouldn't stick so I put some automotive goop on the backside of the velcro and that stuck. Problem solved. My cd player (6 disc with navigation) got stuck with the cds in it also. Dealer fixed under warrenty.

i also had the first problem but it was fixed under warranty.
so just bring it back ASAP they should fix it.

Doug,

The water in the map pockets is most likely coming from the moon roof, if you have one. The drain lines are not clamped to the moom roof and shrink over time. When they come loose, the water runs down the A pilliar to the door jamb and into the map pockets. I had this happen on my 01. You can remove the A pilliar trim, sun visors, grab handles and door weather stripping and get a set on long handle needle nose pliers in to re-secure the drain hoses. I placed a clamp on mine to stop this from happening again. If it's under 50K, let the dealer fiix it. Be sure to ask them to clamp the hoses. Good lick.

Its funny reading the little mistakes in this thread, the 6-spd cd player and Good Lick I found very amusing. Not poking fun, just real early for me.

Only problem of those I have had is the cd changer not ejecting or getting stuck. I find if its stuck I just take like a key and push at the cd and it works its way out. No warranty on my '02 w/ 42K so taking it in would cost me much needed money right now.

Is the headliner more of an '03+ problem just because of that brake light?

JohnMarshall said:
Doug,

The water in the map pockets is most likely coming from the moon roof, if you have one. The drain lines are not clamped to the moom roof and shrink over time. When they come loose, the water runs down the A pilliar to the door jamb and into the map pockets. I had this happen on my 01. You can remove the A pilliar trim, sun visors, grab handles and door weather stripping and get a set on long handle needle nose pliers in to re-secure the drain hoses. I placed a clamp on mine to stop this from happening again. If it's under 50K, let the dealer fiix it. Be sure to ask them to clamp the hoses. Good lick.

this happens on a lot of factory moon/sunroof's. I fixed the last one (on a SAAB) with a length of heat shrink tubing since there wasn't room for a clamp.
I used the Heavy Duty shink with the sealer/adhesive inside to hold it.

You were right it was the moonroof. I got it back and now will wait for the next tropical storm to see if it is fixed.

Doug

The headliner issue is evident in all model years. A bead of silicone between the headliner and the roof is a simple and permanent solution.

Just found that the passenger side seat back now has broken clips and has popped off. Since it now has 93k miles I will probably have to pay for the repairs.
Also several mos ago the bracket that held the fuel/status/etc buttons broke again for the 2nd time.

Doug

Just found that the passenger side seat back now has broken clips and has popped off. Since it now has 93k miles I will probably have to pay for the repairs.
Also several mos ago the bracket that held the fuel/status/etc buttons broke again for the 2nd time.

Doug

Doug,

Use this method to fix your seatback(s). They will never fail again. I did this on my '03 and it works great.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=41935&highlight=seatback

For the staus buttons, get some plastic epoxy to put on the broken plastic that keeps the buttons in place. I also did this for my '03 when the buttons broke and it has never failed again.

For the headliner here is what I did that seems to work:

Buy a bunch of velcro tabs (large-ish ones, like 2" x 4" tabs) and put two or three up, but before you attach them to the roof use a gorilla glue or silicone to stick them up there. Do the same on the other side that goes on the headliner. Let sit un-hooked overnight to cure. Then put a whole bunch in between the velcro. :p Apply pressure on roof overnight again (I used one of those wally-world folding chairs - the height was perfect) and let set. You shouldn't have problems after that...

My '05 was "fixed" by the dealer but the headliner still started falling. The fix is to add this plastic piece, but it didn't work. I had an '03 too with this issue and I did what I described above to it as well. Worked for me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back