Now HERE'S a car that is real happy

tonylinc

LVC Member
Reaction score
In April I sold my 92 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, I had owned the car for 10 years & in the winters I had parked it in an airplane hangar to keep it out of the weather, when I sold it it had 99,985 miles on it & it looked like it was BRAND NEW!! I really hated to sell it but needed the money at the time...so a few months later I came across a 88 Mark VII LSC selling cheap 'cause it had "a broken shock", I scooped it up & had it towed home. Then I was going to take it in to get the shock fixed, (I assumed it needed a new air spring cause the whole rear end was sitting an inch from the ground) The tow driver looked at & said "OH NO, don't take it to the Lincoln dealer, they will rob you blind" and once we had it up on the flatbed we could see that the welds that hold the right side of the car to the top of the rear axle, had broken! The factory had (apparently) missed a weld on there and after 18 years and 110K miles it had finally broken!? Took it to Vic's frame & axle and they welded it back together, gave it 2 new rear shocks and the right air spring had busted too due to the welds breaking, or maybe the air spring had busted and that caused the weld to break?! It's all fixed now & the car has a life again! Finally I was able to drive it. Engine & trans are both excellent, driveline has no vibration, interior is awesome with beautiful grey leather seats in perfect shape, and it has a super high-power Kenwood CD and the special edition factory amps & JBL speakers that sound just awesome! It sounds like a $2000 aftermarket stereo! Once I was able to drive it, I discovered the front end was very unstable to the point of being dangerous, when you stepped on the brakes, it shook & shuddered and pulled hard to the left, it was very bad....It could scare you when going down a hill at any speed over 20MPH...so for a few months, I was only using it to drive a mile to the grocery store and back...I was sure it was going to need front end repair like ball joints or tie rods, etc., well ....I have good news...
I got new Front rotors and new brake pads and then discovered you have to remove the bearings from the old rotors and insert into the new rotors...that was actually a piece of cake, I just hope I used enough wheel bearing grease!! Then I put everything back together...
the car is very happy now, the front end has no problems at all, all the shaking was when from heavily warped rotors, it was very bad, the drivers side brake pads were very odd:
one pad was 1/4 inch thick and the outer pad was thin as a sheet of paper?! On right side they were both about 1/4 inch thick but the rotor was scored deeply just like the drivers side. I wonder how it was able to wear like that? I think they either used junk cheap brake pads last time they did the brakes, or re-used one old pad? Or somehow installed them wrong?? Just got brand new rotors ...and the most expensive pads (only $44) now it stops nice & smooth and in a straight line. Rear brakes next, probably needs pads only...The car is Very Nice and it's lucky to be owned by someone who is willing to take care of it!!! This is my third Mark VII LSC, so I know how great these cars are. I bought this one from the grandson of the original owner, and have every receipt from the day it was purchased new! I'll post a pic or two on here soon!

Hey heres a few pics I took today. Drove the Mark around across town and beyond...very nice. I was unsure, with all the commotion, whether the car had the 5.0HO or just an "ordinary" 5.0, and as I left the barbecue I looked under the hood, (wondering why I hadn't noticed before, since I spent an hour a month ago steam cleaning the engine, and also changing the oil...) and it Does have the HO engine! Yippee! Now I want to find out if it is a speed density or a mass air flow. Anyway I am real pleased with the car and glad to be the second owner! (It's a 1988)

IMGP0777a.JPG

IMGP0775a.JPG

IMGP0776a.JPG

Members online

Back