Not Coils....WTF is going on????

Sivioke

LVC Member
Reaction score
This is a long one but due to the problem has to be, thanks for reading!

So I posted here previously about my LS problems... rough idle, check engine light on, occasionally taking a second to get in to gear particularly in reverse, the car shaking around 40 through eh..50 ish mph, and AutoZone ODB reading that indicated 3 misfires....anyway through your suggestions and my research I figured it was the dang coils so I ordered a set off of eBay and bought a brand new set of iridium plugs (the ones that were in there were plain old platinum) replaced them all expecting to find at least one valve cover gasket bad due to three cylinder misfires, but what I found was that the one cylinder that was not misfiring had a terribly fouled plug.

After I put it all back together the problem was every bit as bad if not a little worse. I called up some friends who are both ASE cert. mechanics one with like 30 years of experience, anyway they checked it out with a computer and it indicated that one bank of cylinders was running lean and the other was running rich. It still said that I had multiple misfires and when we cruised it around he said something about one side warming up / opening up and the other side not...

Anyway we got it back to his place and popped the hood, the engine was making a clikity clack sound from the passenger’s side head area...both of the mechanics were alarmed and with the addition of fouled plug suspected a bad valve / burnt valve or worse. I tried to tell them that as strange as the noise is, it will go away and most of the time doesn’t make it. Anyway of course by the time I left there and made it back to my house it had stopped making the sound. I called them up and they were perplexed because they were of the opinion that a noise like that if mechanical would not heal itself like that...

They suggested taking it to a high volume dealer for at least a diagnosis, (my friends were willing to do more work but they are in the middle of building there shop right now and don't have the time for a few more months) I am hoping that some of you might have some easy fix suggestions before I get bent for a month’s paycheck at the dealer... the fouled plug has me worried it’s something deep down inside the motor.

Thanks for the help!

Oh yea... It's a 2001 V8. Another thing that sucks is that I don't have all the power that i should and I only get a combined city/highway mpg of 16.5. I know it's a V8 but i should be getting better then that...

Thanks again for the input!

Umm i would go back and check which coils are still missfiring. That is your problem. Make sure any moisture or anything has been cleaned up and replace the coils using dielectric grease to keep moisture out that builds up in there.

The coils wouldn't cause the clicking noise. Pull the valve cover and find out what is going on.

Both banks lean > PVC air leak

on the V6's when then PVC hose cracks, you get both banks lean condition and the engine runs rough and stalls, etc. etc. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak.

Fouled plug + rich mixture + multiple misfires + clickity sound = bad fuel injector.

That's my guess at least.

Good thought. That's an easy one to test. Unplug the injector and see if the noise goes away.

same prob

Fouled plug + rich mixture + multiple misfires + clickity sound = bad fuel injector.

That's my guess at least.

I had the exact same prob.

Turned out to be # 5 fuel injector had gone bad & the EGR was clogged up.

Cleaned the EGR and changed the Fuel Injector and SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

on the V6's when then PVC hose cracks, you get both banks lean condition and the engine runs rough and stalls, etc. etc. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak.

True, except...
indicated that one bank of cylinders was running lean and the other was running rich.
and...
Oh yea... It's a 2001 V8

A simple vacuum leak doesn't cause one side to run lean while the other runs rich. Unless maybe you have a split intake. Plus its a V8, and they don't have a PCV valve.

I had the exact same prob.

Turned out to be # 5 fuel injector had gone bad & the EGR was clogged up.

Cleaned the EGR and changed the Fuel Injector and SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

I think I am going to take a look at this... how would i go about cleaning/testing the suspected faulty injector? And how will i know that it is operating properly once cleaneD?

Is there any kind of pictures or directions for removing an LS injector? I'm sure I can figure it out but when possible I like to review the procedure before actually doing it...

Last night I dumped a bottle of chevron fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Do you think that will help at all?

As to the EGR vavle, should I clean it or just replace it. I have not priced one out but they couldn't be that expensive, or at least that's my thought by just looking at it.

Thanks again for the help!

Cleaning the EGR valve should be regular PM, but you'll never see a dealership touch one unless they replace it, which is stupid because they always get clogged up at some point or another. A good cleaning usually gets those straight. But I kinda doubt that has anything to do with the problem you're having.

Fuel injectors have to be taken to a shop that has the facilities to clean them properly. Unless you just happen to have an ultrasonic cleaner. Most times, its cheaper (and more reliable) to just replace the injector rather than bother with having it cleaned (if you can even find a shop that can do it).

They're actually pretty easy to get to on the 3.9. Pull the cover off the top of the engine and you're bound to find them.

One thing you could try though, if you can find anywhere the sells it, buy a can of BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner. That's some serious stuff right there. It's a bit expensive, but it works.

edit:
Here's a link you can use to see if any shops in your area sell BG products.
http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

You still have a pcv system

I checked the manual. A vacuum leak will cause rough idle, misfire on acceleration, burned valves. Lean and rich condition codes.

You have all of these problems.

I have a 01 V6 and the hoses, plastics are rotting from the heat over the years of use. search the forum for other v8's with your problems. I know I've seen the same problems in the V8, that you have. Good luck.:D

You are right about the v8 not having the pcv valve.

Last edited:
I think I am going to take a look at this... how would i go about cleaning/testing the suspected faulty injector? And how will i know that it is operating properly once cleaneD?

Is there any kind of pictures or directions for removing an LS injector? I'm sure I can figure it out but when possible I like to review the procedure before actually doing it...

Last night I dumped a bottle of chevron fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Do you think that will help at all?

As to the EGR vavle, should I clean it or just replace it. I have not priced one out but they couldn't be that expensive, or at least that's my thought by just looking at it.

Thanks again for the help!

In my case the fuel injector cleaner bottle didn't help. Sorry to say...

The EGR valve should be fine with a good cleaning. Mine is working fine.

About the injector itself, my mechanic changed it, so I can't tell you how to do it.

Good Luck.

Intake manifold gasket

I had the same problem on my '04, one bank lean, one bank rich, miscellaneous misfires. Also O2 sensor and TB codes. Dealer replaced a couple of coils, TB, MAF, O2 sensors and the PCM before figuring out it was an intake manifold gasket leak.

nw it can be wayy more cmplex than just the cils, my ls was ding the same thing last summer and i took it to the stealership and let them rape my pockets...

it was so many things that they did and replaced:
pvc
spark plugs
coils
spark plug wires
vaccum?
pulleys
valve cover gaskets
head gaskets...

i kno the dealership is high, but they're the best!...take it there is all i can say, because these shade tree mechanics don't know squat!

I've learned my lesson!

Members online

No members online now.
Back