not again, need help

kitbuf

LVC Member
Reaction score
2001 lincoln ls v8

ac is blowing hot air, I have done the self test both stored and active and nothing. The ac compressor is not kicking in, not even for a second like low freon. engine light is not on. and i found out that the fuse under the hood for ac clutch (i believe that is how it is labeled) is blowed. put in another and it instantly blew also. anyone know what could be causing the fuse to blow, compressor or something else.

any help greatly appreciated

btw, i know this has probably been beat to death before but most of the good write ups are so old that when doing a search it takes for ever to go back for a few years trying to find out anything.

2001 lincoln ls v8

ac is blowing hot air, I have done the self test both stored and active and nothing. The ac compressor is not kicking in, not even for a second like low freon. engine light is not on. and i found out that the fuse under the hood for ac clutch (i believe that is how it is labeled) is blowed. put in another and it instantly blew also. anyone know what could be causing the fuse to blow, compressor or something else.

any help greatly appreciated

btw, i know this has probably been beat to death before but most of the good write ups are so old that when doing a search it takes for ever to go back for a few years trying to find out anything.

A bad DCCV can cause the fuse to blow. Why don't you disconnect the DCCV, put a new fuse in, and see if it blows or not. If it doesn't blow, you'll know for sure that the DCCV is bad. (Note that you will get heated air with the DCCV unplugged, even if the AC clutch now works.)

blown ac fuse

A bad DCCV can cause the fuse to blow. Why don't you disconnect the DCCV, put a new fuse in, and see if it blows or not. If it doesn't blow, you'll know for sure that the DCCV is bad. (Note that you will get heated air with the DCCV unplugged, even if the AC clutch now works.)

Thanks alot, I didn't think of that. Where can I unplug the DCCV. At least that will tell me if it is the compressor or the DCCV. If it is the DCCV can it be fixed and if so is there a write up on it without having to search for the next few months to find it. Again thanks alot.

Okay, look at the left side of your radiator, towards the engine. You'll see a metal canister (the AC receiver/dryer). Below that canister is the DCCV. It's the thing with two solenoid bodies pointing up. Between and behind them is the electrical connector. You can unplug the DCCV there. If it's too hard for you to get to, you can trace the wiring upwards to find a more accessible inline connector about six inches above it. This connector goes to both the DCCV and the aux water pump. You can unplug that one as a test instead.

If it is the DCCV, then replacement is your only option since one or both coils will be shorted (otherwise, it might be possible to clean it).

ac problem

Okay, look at the left side of your radiator, towards the engine. You'll see a metal canister (the AC receiver/dryer). Below that canister is the DCCV. It's the thing with two solenoid bodies pointing up. Between and behind them is the electrical connector. You can unplug the DCCV there. If it's too hard for you to get to, you can trace the wiring upwards to find a more accessible inline connector about six inches above it. This connector goes to both the DCCV and the aux water pump. You can unplug that one as a test instead.

If it is the DCCV, then replacement is your only option since one or both coils will be shorted (otherwise, it might be possible to clean it).

Hey, thanks for the help. I unplugged the connector that I believe went to the aux pump and the dccv. The plug was located under the 90 degree turn of the intake right beside the air dryer, is that correct.

Put a new fuse in with plug unplugged and turned ac on and immediately blew fuse again. I then got looking closely at the compressor and found that the three round things (magnets?) on the front of the compressor clutch, all have like holes burnt in the center of them, so I am assuming the compressor clutch is bad.

Can you replace just the compressor clutch or is it better to replace the whole compressor.

Can you replace just the compressor clutch or is it better to replace the whole compressor.

Yes, you can.
The dealers don't like to because they figure that a bad compressor might have killed the clutch.
I would be tempted to just try the clutch, especially if I could find one at a junk yard.

compressor clutch

Yes, you can.
The dealers don't like to because they figure that a bad compressor might have killed the clutch.
I would be tempted to just try the clutch, especially if I could find one at a junk yard.

Ok, I have searched around and I can get a new compressor clutch kit for around $35 on fordpartsonline. How hard is it to replace just the clutch kit.

Do you think it is possible that it is just a bad clutch.

Members online

Back