NOS Ford or rebuilt transmission solenoid?

JMC

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am needing to replace the transmission solenoid in my 2000 Lincoln LS.

I have the option of either a brand new NOS solenoid (not in packaging as it was sold by ford in bulk. I was told that they were likely originally unused parts from the factory floor) or a rebuilt unit?

Generally, I prefer brand new oem, however in this situation, I’m not sure which may be the better product. Is it likely the rebuilt solenoid may be built better in a way to improve upon any original Ford design flaws?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and possible guidance.

First question is... Is the rebuilt solenoid pack coming from ebay???
They are both from NOS Parts Source. The remanufactured unit he says comes with a 5 year warranty. I don’t know the brand. I’m just not sure I’m which may be best. In all my experience since 2000…the oem units seemed to be the culprit of its fair share of transmission issues, and if this new oem unit is a “leftover” from the assembly line, my thought is that it may not be as good as one that has since been remanufactured.

You still didn't answer the question.

Most of the "rebuilt" solenoid packs on eBay... aren't actually rebuilt. They just make some adjustments for a quick sale, and hope it works for the purchaser.
They are both from NOS Parts Source. The remanufactured unit he says comes with a 5 year warranty.

I personally would buy the NOS part, but would make sure that the factory part number matches what is on the solenoid pack.

One quick call to a dealer would verify that the part number is correct on the NOS part.

Point is... If you go through Ebay... You might be tearing out the solenoid pack a second time (or third) until you get a "rebuilt" one that works properly.

You still didn't answer the question.

Most of the "rebuilt" solenoid packs on eBay... aren't actually rebuilt. They just make some adjustments for a quick sale, and hope it works for the purchaser.

I personally would buy the NOS part, but would make sure that the factory part number matches what is on the solenoid pack.

One quick call to a dealer would verify that the part number is correct on the NOS part.
No, neither are from online eBay listings.

Last edited:
The reman unit with 5 yr warranty is $300, the nos is $400. I always seek out oem parts, but I just don’t know when it comes to the transmission solenoid as they commonly were an issue. I know that XW4Z-7G391-AF is a superseded part from what was originally installed back in 2000, so perhaps I won’t have trouble with it. However, the transmission in there now I had installed by a Ford dealership back in 2012. It is a genuine Ford reman. unit and it’s only been driven about 5,000 miles in those 11 years. I assume that the solenoid was replaced along with the rest of the transmission, but I am not certain how Ford does it.

Last edited:
It's a crapshoot either way. The rebuild will be great if it was a quality rebuilder. The OEM will be great if it hasn't dried out.
What I would recommend is just pick one of them, then take your old one and spend some time finding someone you can trust to rebuild it. Keep your new/old/fresh rebuilt old one handy for when this happens again. :)

I appreciate all of the input. I ended up just ordering a remanufactured unit. I was thrown off by the part number: XW4”P”-7G391-AF stamped on the new unit vs. the expected:
XW4”Z”-7G391-AF.

I will do a bit of research and see who may be well received for rebuilding my existing solenoid, and keep it as backup.

Thank you both!

Yeah... the "P" or "Z" are just revision letters... which typically signify some sort of design change or revision of a part

Most any Ford parts will have the "Z" now.

Yeah... the "P" or "Z" are just revision letters... which typically signify some sort of design change or revision of a part

Most any Ford parts will have the "Z" now.
I see. Maybe I should not have shyed away from it then.

Members online

No members online now.
Back