northstar's

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
are all the northstars the same engine?The sevilles,devilles,and the eldorados have the same northstar or what. I think the sevilles is the best northstar, right?

I'm not totally sure but judging from my factory sevice manual matching year to year I believe the same N*(275hp & 300hp) are used in all four.

I read somewhere that around 2004 or 2005 they redesigned about 70% of the engine. I think I read it on some Cadillac promotional material.

I believe the 2000-03 had a few things changed like allowing it to run on regular gas but bottom line is its still the N* as far as the engine I don't believe that cadillac would only put the best N* in the Sevilles(BTW I meant all 3).

no, because the fastest car out of the 3 is the seville so i thought that would be the best engine.

Depends on what Seville,Eldorado,and Deville your looking at.The Seville STS,Eldorado ETC,and Deville DTS carry the L37 Northstar.This was also the original Northstar.With 300 HP the Northstar L37 was powerful enough to make these models the most powerful front wheel drive cars ever built.The Seville SLS,Eldorado ESC and Deville carried LD8 Northstar.Which downed the HP to 275 but boosted the torque to 295.There the same engine pretty much though.The difference in HP and Torque is due to slightly different cams and timing.The Base motors are mated to a 3.11 gear ratio, the 300 HP version gets a 3.73.The new Northstar was reegineered some.Its now a 4.4l with 320 HP and 315.And then you drop a supercharger on and you got your 470HP version of the Northstar that goes in the XLR-V and STS-V.

Dam CpeVillStr90 I missed that supercharger thing because I haven't been researching that latest models. Now you got me thinking about(if I could ever afford one) getting one. Thanks.

Yea,I wish I could afford one.Maybe in 10 years I can buy a used one.haha

Considering the depriciation factor we may be able to get a good used one after two years. I saw a 2005 STS-V on autotrader.com going for around $43K.

Members online

Back