Northstar Question

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This goes out to all of the Seville owners. I've been considering a STS for me and my wife, but I have been hearing horror stories about how much of a PITA it is to work on them. The starter is in the middle of the engine, you need a special tool just to replace the water pump, etc. etc. etc. Worst of all, I've heard that when they get hot, they need head gaskets. It sounds like a real nightmare. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

This goes out to all of the Seville owners. I've been considering a STS for me and my wife, but I have been hearing horror stories about how much of a PITA it is to work on them. The starter is in the middle of the engine, you need a special tool just to replace the water pump, etc. etc. etc. Worst of all, I've heard that when they get hot, they need head gaskets. It sounds like a real nightmare. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
I have never replaced a starter in a Northstar engine so I can't comment on it. I have replaced a water pump in my 94 Eldorado. It was indeed a pain because it was fused in over the course of 220,000 miles and so I needed to remove it with a 1/2-inch impact wrench 735 Ft. Lbs. reverse torque. Some people use a breaker-bar. But some have little trouble replacing a Northstar water pump. So to answer your question: Yes, you do need a special tool and it can be difficult to replace a Northstar water pump. The tool can be purchased at an autoparts such as Advance Auto for about $25 or can be rented.

Regarding head gasket problems, Northstar engines can blow head gaskets. Some will tell you the head bolts pull which causes head gaskets to blow as a result. However, the primary cause of blown head gaskets is attributable to neglected antifreeze which in turn allows acid to weaken head gaskets. It's very important that you always maintain antifreeze at least as recommended in order to help protect not only the engine in general but the head gaskets as well. My '94 Eldorado has 228,000 miles on it and I have never experienced head gasket problems.

As far as oil burning, Northstar engines, particularly the early years (93-98) were know to burn oil. The Northstar has been redesigned from what I understand to address oil burning. According to a Northstar engineer this was due to the rough honing process used by GM in order to facilitate upper cylinder lubrication. In other words, a slightly roughened surface facilitates oil retention in the upper cylinder and thus better lubrication. As a result, however, the oil left in the upper cylinder is burned, then replaced and so on. I have heard that a burn rate of 1-2 quarts over a thousand miles is acceptable. Interestingly though, I just bought another '94 Eldorado and it appears not to be burning oil at all. I went 3,000 miles between oil changes and didn't need to add any oil. I have read some posts from others stating that they also don't need to add oil. So, it appears that most Northstar engines burn oil (some at higher rates than others) but it's considered acceptable up to a certain point.

Regarding other repairs:
Alternator: Another pain in the butt because it's mounted near the A/C compressor on the passenger side and it must be removed buy dropping it and there's not a lot of room to work with. I've replaced a couple of alternators in a Northstar.

Spark Plugs: Not too difficult. Four plugs are easily accessible at the front of the engine and four near the fire wall. To remove the plugs near the fire wall you will need to remove the Electronic Control Module (at least on the earlier models) and then you will have easy access to the plugs.

Air Filter: Easy. Just loosen top stabilizer bar bolt and remove the lower bolt and swing bar out of way and then you will have easy access to the air box.

Heater Core: Not too difficult. Remove glove box, Power Train Control Module (one bolt), remove heater core cover, disconnect two lines secured by clamps and pull core out from inside the passenger compartment. I must say the heater core is an easy job compared to removing the entire console as is required in a lot of models.

Any particular questions about engine work, please post and I'll try to answer them.

I have a 98 STS at 143,000. Has never needed a major repair and the engine still runs very strong. I've never had to do any of the work mentioned above except thati t does burn oil fast. I have needed to fill it in between 3000 mile oil changes on occasion depending on the driving I'm doing. I consider the Northstar engine one of the best engines ever made. It has been around for years and is still being used in the newer STS', XLR's, and SRX's and some Buicks even with some supercharged applications. It is GM's go to engine.

My STS has 100,000 miles more than my LS and the LS has been in the shop more times than I count on one hand in the past summer alone. I'll never buy another Ford product as long as I live but I will gladly be going back to Cadillac because they seem to be obviously doing something right.

What year are you looking at exactly?

I have 287,00 miles on my "northstar" '94seville sts.
They are no more a pain to work on than any other
frontwheel drive GM vehicle. I was scared at first years back,
but researching the work before I did it always paid off. The only thing I don't do is subframe drops. The rest is a piece of cake. Besides they seem impervious to rust...
Dave

Last edited:
if your northstar burns oil take it out and drive it like you stole it rev it high and hard for a few days but dont get dumb with it, these engins are high horse power high reving and high compression driving it alittle hard does it good.now if it still burns oil remove plugs soak cylinders 24hrs with intake cleaner then drain oil put in new oil replace plugs and go.......

Wide open throttle. W.O.T.

if your northstar burns oil take it out and drive it like you stole it rev it high and hard for a few days but dont get dumb with it, these engins are high horse power high reving and high compression driving it alittle hard does it good.now if it still burns oil remove plugs soak cylinders 24hrs with intake cleaner then drain oil put in new oil replace plugs and go.......

Another procedure is called a W.O.T. (wide open throttle) this is where you red line the engine for a short while,start off in 2nd. gear slowly, and then floor it to red line and let it slowly back off,this should be done from time to time,approx. 2 to 4 times a month.

Members online

No members online now.
Back