Normal Air Ride Issues

crookshanks

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced both rear struts on my Continental as well as both of the solenoids. The car worked great for a couple weeks and now it is back to the rear end being on the ground after a few hours. I cannot hear any obvious leaks, but something must be leaking. Any other ideas??? Thanks.

Hvae you checked the Drier, and compressor if they are weak or malfunctioning they will cause the bags top fall no matter if there are leaks or not. If it's the compressor than the bags are venting and psobably not getting air pumped back into the bags. If it's the drier thier maybe moisture in the bags causing the car to fall to the ground.

Other than the above have you done the soapy water test on the bags themselves??? How old are the bags?? can you see any signs of dry rot when you look at the bags???

The bags themselves and solenoinds are all less then a year old.

The compressor is not that old either but I will check it as well for any leaking air.

I want to try the soapy water test, but it will not get warm enough outside. One of the soleniods I remember looked different then the others, it was a little shorter, but it went in fine. I am thinking that is the problem, but I will have to test it first.

If it is a wrong size solenoid that could definately be a problem, you should get it replaced, where did you buy it from? maybe they sent you the wrong size/solenoid?

I agree it could be that one solenoid that is different from the rest.

I got it from Strutmasters, so I guess i will be bugging them here shortly and get another solenoid.

Ok, so I did the soapy solution test (windex) and I found a leak. It is not where the solenoid meets the strut, but where the air line goes into the soleniod.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I would assume that removing the line and sticking it back in are not going to do any good, so is there something I can put on the line to keep it from leaking?

There are some O-Rings behind the brass collet that the air line goes through they might need to be replaced.

If those are in the solenoid then I guess I still need to get another solenoid.

The Dealership sells the O-Ring kits and they are like 10.00 to 15.00 bucks.

well, the leak at the air line needs to be fixed, thats for sure. but the solenoid must also leaking for it to drop overnight. when the system is off or idle, there is no air pressure in the air lines.

I think there is something wrong with the solenoid, when I move the line air is constanly coming out. If the solenoid is closed, like it should be, then the air should not be coming out. This tells me that the solenoid is staying open and letting all the air out.

either bad solenoid, or a wiring problem causing the solenoid to stay open. remote possibility that the controller is causing it. but turning off the a/s switch should prove out the controller (if it still leaks with it off, not likely its bad), then look for wiring problem (shorted wiring somewhere)

I don't know guys. If I were a betting man, I'd say the problem is in at least one strut. Maybe leaking around the solenoid itself, past the o-rings, but leaking through the solenoid would be a VERY rare problem. The solenoids used on these things are a really good design. They rarely need anything more than just resealing....much less leaking internally. Keep in mind that that those line connections were never designed to be totally leak-free(per Ford shop manual). A little leak is considered normal. This line connection doesn't have to be leak-free because each strut has its own solenoid that acts as a gate for air to go in or out. Therefore, it doesn't require the lines to keep pressure in the struts. The leak (bubbles) your getting is most likely just the line pressure. In other words, the pressure from the compressor to the solenoid.

If your wondering if the module is signaling the solenoid to stay open, simply disconnect the solenoid in question for the night. If its not getting power, its not opening "electrically".

With the way this system is designed, unless something VERY rare is happening, like the air is leaking internally through a solenoid, you could actually disconnect all the lines from each solenoid, and as long as the suspension switch was turned off, the car shouldn't go down. (after a month yes, but not overnight)

Members online

Back