noob suspension conversion question

geeznu

New LVC Member
Reaction score
have a 2000 towncar exec

and thinking about swapping out the air for the coil springs, my question is, would it be best to turn both front and back to coil or just do the problem area, (The rear saggs a bit at times) ??

which kits are the best to get ???

There is only air in the back
New bags are around $100 per side very easy to replace.
You can get both air springs and coils from american air

Do you think coils ride better with shocks, compared to the air?

have a 2000 towncar exec

and thinking about swapping out the air for the coil springs, my question is, would it be best to turn both front and back to coil or just do the problem area, (The rear saggs [sic] a bit at times) ??

which kits are the best to get ???

The best thing to do is to put air springs back under it unless you want to drive a CV or a GM. The time to replace is the same and you keep the load leveling feature of your luxury car.

There is only air in the back
New bags are around $100 per side very easy to replace.
You can get both air springs and coils from american air

You don't need bags, you need springs and my choice would be Arnott with a lifetime warranty that they stand behind. Do not use Strutmasters. They are nothing but con artists.

At a quick glance, I could not find American Air Suspension's warranty policy.

Good luck.

Do you think coils ride better with shocks, compared to the air?

Absolutely not, not even close. There's a reason they put air springs on a Town Car and steel springs on most CV's and GM's.

FYI both suspension species have shock absorbers.

Last edited:
I've converted 2 of my town cars with used coil springs both times I wish I had the money to have fixed the air.
Also the air spring is separate from shock.
So with whatever way you go do some new shocks at the same time and replace the fronts also.

if you really like the air suspension then you can go to arnott industries and get the new air for $107 (not including shipping) for each air spring now you can get the coil springs conversion kit and springs for $249(not including shipping) from arnott as well. If you do a bit of searching around you can find ones for cheaper but that is up to you. I have ridden one with shocks and air obviously air rides better for me with a hurt back as heavy as the town car is I would stick to air suspension well that's coming from some one with a fat family. Have a good day and I hope you get your Suspension fixed. :)

I would get the coil springs. Cheaper and you won't ever have a problem with them and it rides as well. My mark vi signature sedan has coils and rides like its on a cloud. I'm glad mine don't have air to fail and sag down.

CV's and GM's with the handling and performance package have rear air bags.

Air bags would be ideal and are available. Nice to have the load leveling feature if you load up the trunk

air ride is the way to go tc is heavier than gm or cv ergo will sag later on also i believe cheaper to stick with air suspension

I swapped mine to the coil setup shortly after I purchased it. Due to the sagging issue of course. Other than mine riding slightly high when not loaded with 3 people in the back I didn't notice a great deal of difference. I have had both and would preferrer the ease of the coil springs over the air ride.

$250 every 15 years for new air springs is just too much to tolerate?! I like knowing people + luggage in my car won't sag the rear any.

Members online

No members online now.
Back