Noise from front

crookshanks

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
When taking off in the car I hear a thump from the front end. And if I stop hard I also hear the noise. Is this an axle or something?

Thanks

a single thump?? that would lead me to check the motor mounts. 3 of them, one on left side (on trans), one in front on right, one in rear on right.

if there was a cv joint problem, you may (but not always) feel a corresponding motion/vibration in the steering wheel.

also, check the ball joints and sway bar links, and control arm bushings. sway bar links would not be 1st on my list, as you would usually hear it on bumps.

Last, another thing that comes to mind.. not one I want to think about either, a failing strut in front (shock shaft starting to move fore/aft/side-to-side inside the assembly). remember, the upperend of the front suspension is held in place by the top of the strut shaft.

On replacing the motor mounts, right rear one isn't too hard, you can actually get to it when you pull the right front wheel off. right front is a bear.. the AC compressor is in the way. left one, I am not sure of, never messed with it.

The vibrating, would it be constant after the thump.

Motor mounts may be it. I will have me mechanic take a look.

Thanks

My car does that on occasion when i come to a stop. I did some reading on one of the links I posted here a while back and it said that the front sway bar links could be the cause of front end noise. I visually inspected my sway bar links and they seem to be still connected, so I suspect some bushing some where needs replacing. My car has 237,000 km on it and still drives nice and straight and smooth, so I am not going to do anything about it until something else needs fixing.
Brad.

My car does something similar to what your describing, mine needs a strut rod bushing between the rod and the subframe. <-thats a snap noise on heavy-ish braking.

I also need a front motor mount which is a thump if you accelerate and let off too quickly.

My car does something similar to what your describing, mine needs a strut rod bushing between the rod and the subframe. <-thats a snap noise on heavy-ish braking.

I also need a front motor mount which is a thump if you accelerate and let off too quickly.

you just reminded me of something I forgot about.

These cars had a recall regarding the front subframe connector bolts or something like that. for all the cars sold in the 'rust belt'. if your car is original to canada, it might be one with the recall. its worth looking into, it may still be in effect!

Members online

No members online now.
Back