Noise from front left

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Aloha guys.

It's been a while since my last post. That's good news as no news is good news. I haven't had any problem with my LS, until recently. My front left started to make some noise.

what I can tell is that it's coming from front left for sure as I can hear them going over bumps. Not from the right or rear. It does sound like, almost identical, to dead sway-bar end link but that's brand new (few month old 6 at most but I believe less than that. I just can't remember when I changed them) on both side. They were making noise after 5+ years of driving. If it matters, I did get the Moog end link (Yes, they have grease fitting). I did lube them after the installation.

I don't have day-off until next Wednesday and even that, I only have one day-off (my second day-off was supposed to be on Thursday, but they asked me to come in for over time, so I did) so if anything, I can't work on my car until next next week. Once I take the tire off, it will get through inspection for loose nuts and such.

But before I do, I wanted to ask if any of you might have an idea what it could be. Front shocks were changed to KYB unit before I found this site, and they do need a replacement. Just couldn't find any good shocks, but I'll settle for KYB if I can't find any good ones. Lasted about 3 years before they went sour. Anyway, back to the noise. Anyone?

Aloha guys.

It's been a while since my last post. That's good news as no news is good news. I haven't had any problem with my LS, until recently. My front left started to make some noise.

what I can tell is that it's coming from front left for sure as I can hear them going over bumps. Not from the right or rear. It does sound like, almost identical, to dead sway-bar end link but that's brand new (few month old 6 at most but I believe less than that. I just can't remember when I changed them) on both side. They were making noise after 5+ years of driving. If it matters, I did get the Moog end link (Yes, they have grease fitting). I did lube them after the installation.

I don't have day-off until next Wednesday and even that, I only have one day-off (my second day-off was supposed to be on Thursday, but they asked me to come in for over time, so I did) so if anything, I can't work on my car until next next week. Once I take the tire off, it will get through inspection for loose nuts and such.

But before I do, I wanted to ask if any of you might have an idea what it could be. Front shocks were changed to KYB unit before I found this site, and they do need a replacement. Just couldn't find any good shocks, but I'll settle for KYB if I can't find any good ones. Lasted about 3 years before they went sour. Anyway, back to the noise. Anyone?
Did you check the tie rod

Or the ball joints in the steering knuckle??? Or the rubber on the sway bar mounts? Or the control arm bushings? Or the ball joint socket in the upper control arms?

Thanks for the input guys. Most of the suspension components were refreshed, mostly using OEM Lincoln/Jag parts, but yes, some were aftermarket so that could be it. Most control arms were OEM Lincoln, but I think front upper were aftermarket, so I'll check it out.

Still waiting for my day0off, and it's only one day, so best I can do is craw under the car to check. That is IF I don't sleep in. Getting too old for this sh*t and tired................

Have/had the exact noise in both of mine. Part of it was the cheap MOOG tie rod started to fall apart in less than a year.

Took my front suspension apart and all is tight but LCA bushings look cracked.

Leaning towards that and the sway bar bushings. Once had the same noise also in another car and it happened to be the sway bar bushings. Just another PITA to change on this car though.

FWIW...I was experiencing some real loud squeaking coming from the front right suspension...I went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap grease dispenser and the hardware store to buy a grease needle ...I poked through the upper control arm rubber and shot grease in it also the lower ball joint ...no more noise and the grease isn't coming out of the rubber boots ...its a quick and easy way to eliminate the culprit that is giving you issues

I poked through the upper control arm rubber and shot grease in it also the lower ball joint ...no more noise and the grease isn't coming out of the rubber boots .

Also... wiping the grease off where the hole is in the boots (after using the grease needle) and smearing a little silicone RTV over the hole... will keep the grease in... and the water out.

A word of caution to everyone when using a grease needle, or grease gun in general. Be very careful not to poke yourself with the grease needle. Petroleum products are toxic to us humans. It will kill us if it gets in the bloodstream.

Also... when using a grease gun in general... do NOT hold onto the hose when pumping grease. Hold onto the metal tip of the hose. IIRC... the pressure in the hose is around 2000 psi.

I have a buddy that was greasing something... and the (old worn out) hose developed a pin hole... and injected grease in the side of his finger.

He ended up going to the hospital... and having a chunk of his finger cut out... to make sure the grease didn't get into his bloodstream.

If anyone has an older grease gun with a worn out hose... I suggest replacing the hose with a good quality (not cheap) one.

Also... wiping the grease off where the hole is in the boots (after using the grease needle) and smearing a little silicone RTV over the hole... will keep the grease in... and the water out.

A word of caution to everyone when using a grease needle, or grease gun in general. Be very careful not to poke yourself with the grease needle. Petroleum products are toxic to us humans. It will kill us if it gets in the bloodstream.

Also... when using a grease gun in general... do NOT hold onto the hose when pumping grease. Hold onto the metal tip of the hose. IIRC... the pressure in the hose is around 2000 psi.

I have a buddy that was greasing something... and the (old worn out) hose developed a pin hole... and injected grease in the side of his finger.

He ended up going to the hospital... and having a chunk of his finger cut out... to make sure the grease didn't get into his bloodstream.

If anyone has an older grease gun with a worn out hose... I suggest replacing the hose with a good quality (not cheap) one.
Good stuff 04' Sport...much needed info

Thanks for all the info guys. I still haven't craw under the car, yet. Not enough day-off (I'm old..............) and thought I have two day off coming, but I have to go to mandatory (on my day off?) company meeting tomorrow, so there goes another week.

Hopefully, I can get to it next week, but my 86' Monte Carlo SS need water pump change as well. Oh boy................At least that one is easy.

s6x~us~en~file=n0005515.gif~gen~ref.gif

ItemPart NumberDescription
1W705629Coolant pump pulley bolt (3 required)
28509Coolant pump pulley
3W500304Coolant pump bolt (5 required)
48501Coolant pump
58507Coolant pump gasket
Removal and Installation

1. Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding in this section.
  1. Remove the thermostat housing. For additional information, refer to Thermostat Housing in this section.
  1. Loosen the coolant pump pulley bolts.
    • Do not remove at this time.
  1. Remove the accessory drive belt. For additional information, refer to Section 303-05 .
  1. Remove the 3 bolts and the coolant pump pulley.
    • To install, tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in), then rotate an additional 45 degrees.
  1. Remove the 5 bolts and the coolant pump.
    • Remove and discard the coolant pump gasket.
    • To install, tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb-in), then rotate an additional 90 degrees.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Install a new coolant pump gasket.
  1. Fill and bleed the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding in this section.

Thanks guys. But water pump is for my Chevy. Yes, LS pump has been changed few years ago. One of the few thing I forgot to change when I did my cooling system overhaul.As far as the cooling system, everything is OEM, including degas bottle.

Members online

Back