no start

Bangster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This started (well, won't start hahah) this week. Car sat for 4 or 5 days, turn key, nothing happens, no crank. Battery seems okay at 12.6 volts. The next day it started, so of course I drove it, and drove it a number of times. Once or twice there was a pause between having the key in start and the starter cranking, but it always started first or second time.

Today it left me at a store. I had the wife bring the horrible fright jumper box, put it on for a few minutes, and it started right up. I think that might be a red herring, as the next time I just kept trying until it started.

Car is gonna have to sit for a week or so like this.

[video]https://youtu.be/brBkDPDz2M8[/video]

It isn't anti theft/PATS because the light behaves right, I am not sure if the gas gauge and lights all are behaving or not.

This is when PATS is a problem (key covered in foil so it can't read the RFID chip):
[video]https://youtu.be/yt81d3RDieI[/video]

And this is normal:
[video]https://youtu.be/rYTqHe3eO3M[/video]

my immediate thought,

check the wire on the starter solenoid. loose/corroded trigger wire won't trip the solenoid. could also be a failing solenoid.

Yup, I am going to work my way on the non SCIL/PATS side, I am hoping this car has a bolt with a loop terminal on the starter and not like the earlier cars with the spade tip..other than they fail like this. Another thing is I have always gotten a check transmission and it is for the thermister (which I replaced) and on occasion I get the shift data error (and the lights on the dash indicator doesn't match the shifter) so I will also be looking at the transmission harness.

I posted all the wiring diagrams in another post, and all the logic and relays and such, so just need time to get to it. Did it happen when it was in the 60/70's? Nope, it hits 90+ degrees then decides to give me opportunities to work on it.

It's also worth checking the crank shaft position sensor and wiring. It can cause a similar intermittent no crank issue.

When I had a battery cable terminal go bad/loose the same thing happened. Check the terminals and tighten as necessary and check for corrosion in the cable itself.

Looking at the solenoid on the starter, looks like it is cracked.

The solenoid is removable with the starter in place, right? A couple of torx head screws on the end near the mounting point?

Pull the starter so you can bench check it.....have fun with that top bolt.

16471394614_14a2d8f034_b.jpg

Looks like I can get to it pretty easily with an allen key style torx bit.
16906282970_d009b088ac_b.jpg

So far I have been lucky, even with 26x,xxx miles on my Grand Marquis, 130,000 on my 97 Cougar, and 131 on my Mark VIII, never had to deal with a starter. I have helped someone with an earlier Crown Vic (94 or 95) and the collection of extensions, swivels, and wobbly extensions was comical. The top bolt was not put back in.

Of course that last show also shows another issue I am dealing with, an oil leak.

Members online

No members online now.
Back