No Start - PATS Code 12 - Transciever ??

Doctor_Wu

LVC Member
Reaction score
LS is having issues starting...

One night last week I found that it wouldn't start. But the next day it started twice then no more.

Starter relay is getting +12v to pin 30 (common) and Pin 86
(switch) when the key is turned, but no ground to pin 85. (LS switches
ground to the relay).

PATS anti theft LED on the dash flashes rapidly when the key is turned
to run or start. Then, PATS flashes code 12, after leaving the key in
the run position for 60 seconds. -- Ford Mondeo III site indicates that
this code is for the "Transceiver". The site doesn't say what the issue is with the transceiver either... it doesn't say "transceiver bad", or "transceiver low voltage" But that's the only reference I could find on the web... info on this thing seems pretty scarce.

In the likely event that I need to replace the transceiver ... I want to know if it has to be programmed -- According to everything I've read, the codes
for those key's are stored in the cluster and PCM, so the transceiver
should just be reading and repeating them. And thusly there should be
no programming involved. Hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer on this...

Does anybody know how to check the transceiver for proper operation -- resistance across the pins or otherwise.

OR... does anybody have access to a service manual with info on PATS codes and if I've got the right idea about this code. Or what tool i need to access any other codes in that system

Hi Doctor...Ill need the complete vin number to research this...or at least the year make model and eng size.
Max

I guess the PATS system does not flash codes. The rapid flashing indicates that the system has been activated. This appears to be a bad transceiver in the steering col. The only test is to replace with a known good unit. The part number is XW4Z 15607-AA and has a list of $43.77 and LVC is $36.77. I would have to order one and it would take a couple of days.
Max

if it starts and then sometimes goes into "theft" mode, 99% of the time its the transceiver, and nobody ever has a "known good unit" cuz that allways fixes it

I guess the PATS system does not flash codes. The rapid flashing indicates that the system has been activated. This appears to be a bad transceiver in the steering col. The only test is to replace with a known good unit. The part number is XW4Z 15607-AA and has a list of $43.77 and LVC is $36.77. I would have to order one and it would take a couple of days.
Max

I've got the old part here... the transceiver off mine came out of the dash behind the key ring...

This part # is 98VP - 15607 - AB is that the same one you're listing there?

I've got the old part here... the transceiver off mine came out of the dash behind the key ring...

This part # is 98VP - 15607 - AB is that the same one you're listing there?

Here are some pics...

IMG_0811.gif

IMG_0814.gif

There's a TSB for a PATS-related no-start: 01-16-04. You might look into that.

LS no Start

That is the correct one as listed in the catalog. Ill check on that TSB for you.
Max

Here is that tsb....my scanner tried to eat the one page but it is ok.

Max

Last edited:
That is the correct one as listed in the catalog. Ill check on that TSB for you.
Max

Here is that tsb....my scanner tried to eat the one page but it is ok.

Max

Max...

Thanks for the TSB, i'm not sure if that's my issue b/c my problem has not really been intermittent... but it did start once in the midst of my problem ... long enough for me to drive it to my dad's house.Other than that, no start in many days.

Do you have a price for the jumper wiring harness listed in that TSB? If it's not too much i might just get both just in case.

Thanks..

Dw

Dw
That harness is 104.18 and cost LVC 75.01. I think that may be a little much for me...but....???

Members online

No members online now.
Back